iv. masquerade - k

sorry for the wait! hope u all enjoy <3

☆

member : k
genre : romance, slight angst

⚠️includes description of a panic attack⚠️

           "WOULD YOU CARE to dance?" A masked man asked as he approached you, a gloved hand outstretched towards you in an attempt of respectful manner.

"Oh! No...no thank you." You nervously sputtered out. To say the least, you weren't necessarily enjoying yourself in the crowded ballroom of unfamiliar figures. You absentmindedly played with the frayed hemming on your formal wear as you nervously stood alone, even with no one no longer approaching you your nerves refused to settle. Something about the sinister masks and unsettling atmosphere sent your stomach churning in uneasiness, chills rippling down your spine as you started to feel lightheaded.

You needed air. Desperately.

You frantically squeezed through the dancing figures in an attempt to make it out of the room, breathless apologies making their way to your lips as you stumbled into a few. "I'm...sorry." You could barely manage a sentence as you felt the room closing in on you. "Please excuse me." Applause filled your ears as you heard the song end setting your mind ablaze with determination, determination to get out before you were swept away into the next dance.

But luck refused to be on your side.

"It's the last dance, who do you think the prince will pick?!" You heard someone squeal.

"Obviously me." Another confidently chimed in.

"As if!"

"Move over! You're blocking my view of him!"

Your mind felt fuzzy from the sudden clamor of noise filling your ears, a cry wishing to escape your throat as you felt yourself being pushed away from the exit. It's only one last dance. You attempted to calm yourself. I can leave after this. 

"You."

"What?" You slipped out as you heard the sudden voice. 

"You. I'd like to have this dance with you, if I may?" 

Your face flushed as you now realized who stood in front of you, his royal jewel embedded mask giving you the answer you were searching for. You felt your breath shorten at the thought of having to dance with someone in front of so many people. 

But something about him intrigued you. Something about him just drew you in almost like a magnet. 

You nodded as you found yourself at a loss for words, accepting his hand he had offered to you as a signal of your consent. 

"You're nervous." He whispered as he observed your shaking frame, him leading you slowly into the center of the ballroom. "You don't have to do this if I'm making you uncomfortable." 

"No...I want to." You could see his eyes flicker in excitement from even behind the mask as he smiled, his hand finding his way to your waist. 

"Just let me know if this is too much." He said before the music started to slowly start, your hand slipping into his in instinct as you straightened your posture. His hands barely lingering on you as he danced around you almost as if you were made of glass, each of his movements perfectly placed reeling you in even more. 

Your body finally responded to you as your arms found your way around him causing him to let out a small laugh of delight. Nothing in your life had ever felt this right. You could feel your heart aching in sadness as the music slowed to a stop, his hand finding his way to your face as he traced your jawline softly almost as if to tell you he felt the same. 

"I will never forget you." He placed a kiss on your hand. "As I hope you won't with me." 

- january 28th, 2023

𝗰𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗳𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗵 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆 𝗶𝗺 𝗺𝗲𝗮𝗻