Answers | 答え

When Lucy didn't respond, Morgiana stared menacingly at her—or at least what looked to be menacingly to Lucy. "Yes," she finally said, "it was incredible." Morgiana looked between her and the empty plate a few times. "That's good," I think.

Once again, the room was left in an awkward silence, neither of them saying anything else.

"So—"

"I'm sorry—"

"You go first."

"No, you should. I've already eaten all your food, I can at least let you go first."

Having nothing to say against that, she agreed.

"Alright."

"Heartfilia—"

"Just 'Lucy' is fine."

Morgiana looked a bit skeptical but still conceded.

"... Lucy," she started. "Yes?" Lucy replied. "I'm not sure if this is too personal of a question to ask, but you don't really have amnesia, do you?"

Hearing this, Lucy felt her blood go cold. She wasn't expecting anyone to figure it out this quickly, especially not Morgiana, who she barely even talked to.

Stay calm, she reminded herself. She has no reason to suspect me of doing anything wrong.

"Of course I do, there would be no reason for me to pretend—you've seen how clueless I am about," she had to stop herself from saying 'this world', "everything."

Morgiana deflated a bit, hoping Lucy would tell her the truth instead of continuing her lie. "I saw you," She tried again. Lucy still didn't say anything, trying not to accidentally reveal anything about herself that Morgiana might not already know.

"That night. When you first boarded the ship, I went to check on you. But there was someone else in your room, a man in a suit, and a bright glow. I thought something might have happened to you but you were talking to this man like you've known him for years. So Lucy," saying her name without any honorifics still felt strange to Morgiana. "You don't actually have amnesia, right?"

Lucy can feel her palms getting sweaty.

Morgiana apparently saw her send Crux back and talk to Loke. That is... not good. Not good at all. The best thing she can do now is try to reveal as little about her as possible. She really didn't want anyone other than Kouen to know she was here again, not knowing what she would say if they questioned her again or, as Morgiana has done, figured out something about her.

"You're right." She breathed. "I don't have amnesia."

Mogiana brightened up again. "So, why are you pretending you do?" Is she hiding something? Is she a spy? Has she been sent here by Al-Thamen? No matter what possibilities she could come up with, she still couldn't understand why Lucy would fake having amnesia.

"Ah, well, I guess you can say it's because..." she trailed off, "I was hoping to start over again, without any ties to my past."

Morgiana could pretty much understand where Lucy was coming from. Her wanting to separate herself completely from whatever her past was is a good reason for faking amnesia. They would definitely question her more and try to track down where she came from and people she used to know. By claiming amnesia, they would have no way to track anything relating to her.

As long as she was telling the truth (and she hoped she was), Morgiana could believe her.

"You have to promise me something," Lucy urged her. "Promise me you won't tell anyone about this." She can't have anyone else know about this. Morgiana knowing and having to find some way to keep all other aspects of her life a secret from Kouen was already too many people knowing too much about her.

"Please." She pleaded. "Keep this a secret, I can't have anyone else know about this."

Morgiana could see where she was coming from with this too. So far, everything she's said has been the logical thing for Lucy to do, Morgiana would do the same if she was in her place.

"Okay, I won't," Lucy let out a sigh of relief. "On one condition." She froze up again. "You tell me who you really are."

Shit, Lucy thought. If she wants Morgiana to agree to her terms and not tell anyone, she might have to reveal more about herself. And as much as she really doesn't want to, it might be the only way she can keep herself safe and unquestioned—and if she still doesn't agree after, Lucy might have to resort to other, less peaceful, methods she really doesn't want to use.

"Fine. I will tell you about my life, before I arrived here. I won't tell you everything, but I will tell you a bit of it."

Morgiana brightened up again, satisfied by her response. "Great!"

———
A/N: I wrote a solid two sentences of my history essay before immediately starting to write this.