CH 20 || Halloween Part IV

Start from the beginning

"It was a good idea to come here during a thunderstorm, huh?" Rose's friend snapped.

I grimaced. Then I turned back and tugged on Killian's shirt.

He leaned down a little.

I started shrugging out of his jacket. "You can have your jacket back. I'm much better now—"

He drew back and gave me a flat look. Then he pulled his hoodie back over my shoulders, zipped it up, and said, "I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that."

Behind me, the constant drumming of raindrops continued. I couldn't make him take an unwanted outside shower while I stole his jacket. No way.

Suddenly his lips were close to my ear and I twitched when his breath hit my neck. "Whatever you're thinking about right now? No. Just remember to stick close to me and we're good, alright?" His tone left no room for discussion.

Which of course made me want to argue even more. Besides, he couldn't order me—

He folded his arms and stared me down. "Or should we ask what your best friend has to say about this?"

Oh, God. If we'd ask Suzy for an opinion she would probably steal Cody's jacket on top of it and force me to wear that as well.

"You always have to have the last word, don't you?" I grumbled and snuggled into the fabric. It was hella comfy. Not that I would admit that out loud.

Killian's gaze was still trained on me but there was a watchfulness to it, tinged with amusement. "And you always have to argue about everything."

"I'm not arguing about everything!"

"See?" he countered, a smile tugging on his lips. "Now you're arguing about arguing."

Ugh! I turned away. This guy was so frustrating.

After a while, the thunder grew more distant and the rain receded into a steady drizzle. We all filed out. Nick took the lead with Suzy right behind him.

I followed after Cody, Killian close on my heels.

A few times I slipped on the uneven terrain, but every time Killian snatched the back of my jacket and kept me up. I felt a bit ridiculous, but after all that running my legs were trembling with exhaustion and the wet, muddy ground didn't help.

By the time we made it to the house, my shoes squealed and squished out water with every step. My pants stuck to my legs but Killian's jacket was so long that it was only from my knees down. Overall, I wasn't doing too bad.

Suzy turned to us. "Did you guys come here by car?"

"We'll drive you guys home," Cody said matter-of-fact. "I'm just gonna grab something."

"Ah, good," Suz replied, relieved. Nick was waiting for her a few feet away. "I'll be right back, okay, Tay?"

I managed not to roll my eyes at her protective tone. "Yes. Yes."

They both disappeared inside the house and Killian nudged me. "Let's get going."

I felt myself bobbing my head in agreement.

He led me to his car and I let out a long exhale when I settled in the passenger seat.

Killian slid into the driver's seat. My breath hitched when he reached behind me and retrieved a shirt. He reached up to pull the damp fabric over his head, his muscles rippling and it was all I could do not to stare.

Shit, he looked hot. It the worst part was that it was clear he wasn't even trying. Suddenly, the dashboard seemed immensely fascinating.

My heart pounding had nothing to do with him being half-naked. Nope.