Part 23

June 13th, 1968

Elvis welcomed you back like an old friend would and as if no time had passed, much to Priscilla's disapproval. But there was nothing that anyone could do that would tear you apart from him anymore. You were happy...practically glowing being back in his inner circle and the rest of his fan proclaimed Memphis Mafia definitely missed having a fun female presence around...and just in time for Elvis' latest projects. A comeback special of sorts, where he'd finally perform again in front of an audience. Long gone were the Hollywood films. He was back in action as the rock n' roll singer you knew he loved to be. 

"Get that wittle doody over here, I need good luck before I do this." Elvis hollered from across the studio room. 

"I heard him! I'm coming." You said with a giggle as you saw Sonny shot you a look telling you to get over to him. 

Elvis peered over to you as you walked over and opened his arms to bring you into a tight bear hug. "There she is!" He said and kissed the top of your head. Your stomach swirled as you returned his affection with a squeeze. You knew that Elvis wasn't happy in his marriage. That was the first big conversation you shared with him after coming back into his life. He hated being tied down to a woman that never was there on the road with him, but you were there and that made all the difference. He was finally happy and everyone knew it from seeing the two of you around each other. 

"Elvis- okay that's enough! People are watching." You say, letting out a giggle as he nuzzles your neck. He chuckles and pulls back, but not before letting his fingers glide down your cheek. You feel the heat immediately rush to your face and look down, hoping to hide the feelings that you've had all these years. You look up as Elvis walks to grab his leather jacket and see Sonny with a look of pure disappointment. You walk over to him and stand in silence for what feels like an eternity. Once Elvis left the room, you turn to him.

"Y/N, frankly I don't care to hear it.." he said cutting off your attempt to speak.

"Sonny, he's not happy..." You say in an attempt to defend both you and Elvis.

"I know that, damn it! I just- I don't know why I'm all butthurt if I'm gonna be honest. I just- it's knowing that he's happiest with you and you're happiest with him I guess..." he trails off and his honesty almost takes you aback. You thought that you would just look like some home wrecker, but he saw what was really there and more people probably did too. Sonny saw the unconditional love Elvis and you had for one another that no other love had or could ever match and that's what sent chills down your spine as you came to that realization. 

"Just be careful Y/N, you know I've only ever wanted the best...for you both." Sonny said with a small smile. You return his kindness with a smile as well and embrace him tightly. 

"Thank you Sonny!" You say.

"Photographer, Y/N needed at the stage!" The words suddenly rang out and you were grabbing your newest camera and walking to the stage, and as soon as your eyes find Elvis, your face beams with joy and adoration. You quickly hold up the camera as he takes his stance to begin his set, the band starts with a bang and the flash captures one of the greatest moments in history...

July 4th, 1968

It was a tradition that your families had long since held up, even after Gladys death, but it promptly stopped for a good minute during the time of Priscilla, so being back at Graceland, surrounded by family and friends for the Fourth of July was the perfect way to restart the tradition and with Elvis and Priscilla's divorce finalized, the stars felt like they were finally aligned. Some of the new Memphis Mafia kids and various cousins ran across the large lawn, chasing each other. Golf carts and other recreational vehicles that Elvis kept were littered across the driveway, some in use and some still parked and ready to run the roads. The guys, led by Red, lighting sparklers and setting out the rest of the fireworks for the evening. Elvis sat in the midst of it all, under the large tree taking it all in. You make your way to him, smiling and waving as you pass others enjoying the holiday until you get to him and wrap your arms around him.

"Wittle doody." He spoke with a clear smile on his face.

"E.P." You respond with a giggle. An arm snakes around your side and tugs you into his lap. Pure bliss showers over the two of you as you stay seated on his thigh, looking at the world he built around you. Graceland was always for you and his mama and you were at home. You were with him. All was right. And all that was left to say were the words that were left unsaid over the years. So many years, dodging around what was pretty much the inevitable. 

"Elvis, are you happy?" You ask, mustering up the courage to finally start the conversation.

"Course I am, Y/N. I'm so happy I could fly!" He said with a big grin and squeezed you lightly. 

"I mean- with me?" You finally say and look into his eyes for the answer. His blue eyes sparkle in the sun.

"Yes. I'm very happy with you...I um...I-"

"I love you." You say and his face turns from shock and then instantly into the biggest grin you'd ever seen.

"I love you, my wittle darlin." He responds.

"I've loved you since we were little, E. Since forever..." You say with pure joy in your voice.

"I love you forever." He said and placed a kiss on your hand. You bite your lip hesitantly before cupping his face and lean forward, your lips meeting his ever so gently. It felt like your first kiss with him all over again. Butterflies erupting in your stomach. Kissing him felt like the realest form of magic imaginable. The barriers were finally down and the two of you stayed like that for the rest of the day and into the night. He held you close as the fireworks lit up the night sky, as if they were being shot up just for the two of you. All the chasing, all the jealousy, all of the back and forth you ever went through with him was finally worth it. He noticed you. He always had noticed you. There were just too many other distractions beforehand. What mattered now is the girl behind the camera wound up with the star. 

THE END