Part 4

January 27th, 1956

You hadn't imagined at almost nineteen years old that you would have toured with a band in almost all the southern states, let alone your twenty two year old best friend's band that just topped the charts with his latest single, "Heartbreak Hotel". He was a sensation almost overnight. He went from playing fairs and carnivals to selling out small venues every night. In a rare moment of rest between appearances you laid in another random motel listening to the radio. "And next up is the number one song in top country hits, Heartbreak Hotel...and we just received word, congratulations Mr. Presley on over 300,000 copies sold!" The radio announcer said and proceeded to play the latest hit. You shot up and stared in disbelief at the radio. Suddenly, you hear noise next door where the guys were staying. The door next door opened and slammed shut and you heard a pound on your door. "Y/N! Y/N! Wake your ass up!" Elvis yelled through the door and you roll off the bed and onto your feet, darting to the door, swinging it open. He had obviously just heard the announcement by the amount of excitement on his face. "Did ya hear!? 300,000...God damn, y/n! I didn't even know they had that many copies out there!" He said, his mouth running as fast as the road runner. "Ha, yes Elvis, they made more copies than that though...you sold over 300,000." You pointed out with a slight giggle at his excitement. He leaned back on your bed and ran a hand through his hair, "Wow." He said breathlessly. You couldn't help your photographer side of you. As he sat on the bed reading an article about more of his recent successes, you snap a quick picture.

 As he sat on the bed reading an article about more of his recent successes, you snap a quick picture

He looked over and gave you a slight smirk after the effects of the flash wore off. "Damn, who woulda thought?" He said and finally laid down on your bed, finally feeling the effects of his exhaustion. "I couldna done this without you and mama and pop." He said, attempting to slow his breathing. You laid down beside him, looking up at the popcorn ceiling, listening to his breaths. "This is all you Elvis. You made it." You say, smiling, but heard no response aside from smalls soft snores. You look over to see him completely out of it. He had previously done five shows every night this past week and had his first ever TV appearance in the early morning, so no wonder he crashed as hard as he did. You smile and sit up to take off his shoes and go to get a spare comforter to throw over him. You go to your new side of the bed and knock three times on the shared wall, knowing Scotty or Bill would still be up. Three knocks meant Elvis was with you and they would respond with three back, two meant 'where the hell is Elvis', and one loud knock meant let's stay up and do stuff. You heard the three knocks and knew it was at last time to sleep. You curled up next to Elvis, feeling the heat from his body radiating against your back. It felt good in the cold motel room and soon were asleep just about as fast as him.

January 28th, 1956

You all walked into the large studio room. Row after row of chairs was raised above to overlook the stage. "Well, shoot this place is bigger than five of our house in Tupelo!" Elvis said looking around at the stage and set decorations. "Mr. Elvis Presley!" A billowing voice exclaimed and balding man came out from backstage to shake Elvis's hand. "Welcome dear boy! My brother and I are so happy to have you here. My name is Tommy Dorsey. My brother Jimmy will be by your dressing room in a bit to introduce himself." He said smiling. "Nice to meetcha." Elvis smiled shyly. That was the sweet and humble thing about Elvis, is with the quick rise to fame he still acted like the poor, bullied boy back in small town Tupelo. You admired him for that. "Oh and you must be Elvis's girl..." The attention was suddenly shifted to you as you stood off to the side. "What?" Elvis and you both asked in slight shock and embarrassment at the same time. "Jinx." You went on to say and Elvis smirked at you. "N-no sir. Well I mean, she's my best friend, y/n." Elvis went on to say. You smiled and slightly curtseyed in your green poodle skirt and white blouse. Elvis had ended up buying you a few new pieces of clothing in a few new cities, knowing what little you had originally packed and he had complimented the green previously. "Well anyways, it's a pleasure to meet such a close friend of Mr. Presley." Tommy went on to say and shook your hand. "Call me Elvis, please." He insisted. "Of course, well here Elvis, let me get a stagehand to show you the dressing room." Tommy said and whistled for a short guy in all black to come over. He ordered him to take Elvis, Scotty, and Bill backstage leaving you with Tommy still on the stage. "This is amazing! You have no idea what an honor this is for him." You say, still processing everything. "Of course, y/n. You see that guy...Elvis Presley—he's going to be one of the biggest names in show business in a short time. I guarantee it." Tommy predicted and you couldn't help but agree and it was happening before your eyes.