Part 6

August 10th, 1956

You were late to join Elvis and the gang down in Florida, but you were almost there and with your new boe, Jonathan in tow. He happened to be a big Elvis fan, which was a bit awkward for you, but you cared for him so you opted to take him on this little trip. June, her friend, and Red were already at the venue waiting to meet you. As soon as you put your extra film in your pant pockets, you make your back through the already large crowd of screaming girls and found them by the stage. "Come back this way, he's in the dressing room round back!" Red said and you all took hands, weaving through the crowd. You finally made it to the dressing room and even from there you could hear the screaming as if they were right there. It was the largest crowd you had ever seen. Red quickly opened the door and you all filed inside. Elvis turned around smiling and then crossed his arms and took his 'Elvis stance'. He continued to glare at you and Jonathan both as you stood near the door, feeling completely uninvited. "So you decided to show up huh?" Elvis huffed. June attempted to out her hand on his arm to calm him but he stepped away. "Elvis, the Colonel said I didn't need to come to every single show. I had things to do at the newspaper. "You attempted to defend yourself, but he just rolled his eyes. "And you bring someone I don't even know..." Jonathan took a step back, clearly feeling uncomfortable now. "Everyone out! Now! 'Cept you." He demanded and everyone did as they were told, filing back outside until it was just you and Elvis alone. "Elvis, Jonathan is with me just like June's here with you! Or am I not allowed to date?" You shoot at him. "You should have told me ahead of time!" He said. He clearly seemed on edge and different. More stressed than usual, but this was the first time he actually took it out on you. "Oh stop being a pansy, Elvis." You said. "God damn it, y/n! You try and do this as many days as I have!! You wouldn't last a fucking day!" He yelled, his harsher profanity, shocking you. "Elvis Presley would you stop being an asshole? I'm happy to turn around and go back home.." That comment did it and his face fell, realizing how harsh he had been. "Oh I'm sorry, y/n. It's just been extra crazy in Florida. They doubled the police presence at every show and we can't go a single place without a crowd mobbing me. On top of all that the Colonel's keeping June away from me." He said and fell to the couch putting his elbows on his knees and holding his face as he looked down at the floor. You went to sit beside him and out a hand on his back. "E, I'm sorry. I had no idea things were getting this bad." You apologize. "It's a lot to take in, y/n." He said his voice cracking slightly. You rub his back gently until he finally looked up. "So Jonathan, huh?" He said and raised an eyebrow with a smirk and you swat his back now as he teased you. "He's actually a fan of your music." You said and he smiled. "Really?" He asks, clearly in good spirits again and you nod. "Yeah but he got kicked out with everyone else..." You giggle slightly. "Oh shit!" Elvis shot up and went to the door, hollering for his guests to come back in. Everyone made their way back in. "Hey yall im sorry bout that, had to tell y/n about the photography plan." He lied, not wanting to apologize in front of other guys and seem weak. "There's so many people out there!" Jonathan pointed out. "Yeah and the police dont help. They just wrile them up." Elvis said. "Fuck em." Jonathan said and then covered his mouth. "Scuse my language." He apologized. You and June looked at each other and then burst into laughter and soon you were all laughing until your bellies hurt. "I got a plan for those police." Elvis smiled slyly after finally calming down from the laughing fit. Everyone was eager to hear his plan but he just winked and said to listen up. The rest of the time was spent joking about Elvis's temper and him and Jonathan talking about his songs. As you watched your best friend talk with Jonathan, you couldn't help but wonder if Elvis ever looked at you with Jonathan this way.

The concert started promptly at two in the afternoon under the hot Florida sun. You were front and center as usual to the action and tool more of your favorite photos of Elvis. He came to life in front of the crowd and fed off this larger crowds undeniable energy. Before he started his set he went to the microphone though. He would usually thank the crowd with his usual 'thank you very much' or say something kind to the hosts who put on the concert, but he caught sight of the police in the back. You saw the look on his face and he caught sight of you and winked. "Fuck you very much." At least that's what it sounded like to you, although with the speaker quality it still sounded like 'thank you', but only you and the group with him earlier would know what he said and he ended up confirming it afterwards as well. After that he was on fire. It was impressive and also nerve-wracking just with the amount of people here.