Part 15

August 13th, 1957

It all happened too quickly. It was heartbreaking to witness. You had gone back to Memphis with Vernon and Gladys as instructed by Elvis and stayed by her side, but she kept deteriorating quicker than expected. You phone Elvis and he was there instantly at his mother's side every day coming and going from Graceland to the hospital every day and each day the news would just get worse each time he came home. That evening he came in and quickly made his way to his room up the stairs without saying a word to you as you sat in the living room reading a book. You glance up the stairs and decide to go check on him. Making your way up, you knock on the door before entering. "E, are you okay?" You ask and walk in. He throws several pairs of clothes onto the bed from his closet, nearly missing you with his throw. "Hey there!" You call out, momentarily stunned. "Sorry, I have to get back. She's...." He stops mid sentence, hiding the weakness that was in his voice. "Elvis, you don't have to be strong in front of me." You say and he meets your eyes. Walking up to you, he wraps his arms around you tightly. You can feel him shaking as he softly let's out his tears, still trying to appear stronger than he was. "I have to get back. Mama's not doing good." He said and cleared his throat. He gave me a small smile before he grabbed his clothes and his bag and left as quickly as he came.

August 14th, 1957

The day Elvis was changed forever. It started out calm, but very gloomy. Storms rolled through off and on. The house was eerily quiet as you busied yourself with chores while the staff had their day off and Vernon and Elvis were occupied at the hospital. The day dragged on as you attempted to eat a meal for the first time that day, but it practically stopped the second Vernon and Elvis walked through the door that evening. Both had grief written plain as day in their faces. Your heart broke in two as they collapsed. You ran from the dining room, leaving your food untouched and took them in your arms. You all cried together in solidarity. Gladys was the matriarch of the family. She had been like a second mother to you and the one person who understood your pain when Elvis would be too preoccupied to notice you. She stood up for you and loved you like her own and now that was all gone. No more soft smiles or big Teddy Bear hugs. No more hearty laughs with her at the stupid things Elvis would say and do. And now your best friend was all but taken away and replaced by a person you hardly recognized. Grief had taken his natural joy and replaced it with something completely unrecognizable. He ended up locking himself in his room the rest of the day. His sobs echoing through the closed door and could be heard throughout the entire home. And Vernon was all but paralyzed and in a state of constant shock and crying. What was once a place of happiness and comfort became a dark echo and reminder of a life now gone.

August 15th, 1957

The day she died was horrible, but the funeral was almost unbearable to witness. At the gravesite Elvis was broken. He would look up to rhe sky wnd yell, "Oh God, everything I have is gone!" Elvis leaned over the grave, crying out, inconsolably, "Goodbye, darling, goodbye. I love you so much. You know how much I lived my whole life just for you!" It tore you apart seeing this side to Elvis. You kneel beside him, rubbing his back. His tears watered the ground his mother was now buried in for the next hours as he knelt by her burial site. Once home, things seemed to just get worse. The Colonel had surprisingly stopped by, but with a media frenzy following his footsteps. You hurried Elvis and Vernon inside, but the Colonel stopped you in your footsteps and he grabbed hold of your arm. "Little girl. You need to be out here with your camera." He sneared. You gave him the nastiest look you could muster for asking such a thing on the day of your best friend's mother's funeral. "Don't forget you still work for me too." He shot. Tears spilled out as you nodded, giving into his twisted request. If you didn't like him before, you despised him now. You ran to get your camera, wanting to get thia over with and as you started making your way back outside you came up to Vernon and Elvis who were standing near the entrance, holding one another. "I h-hate to ask. B-b-but they want p-p-pictures..." You trailed off, too nervous and embarrassed to say anything further. Elvis shot you a look and glanced outside. He caught sight of the Colonel orchestrating the other people outside and gave you a knowing nod and took his father outside. You took your place among the other photographers, feeling out of place and managed to snap one image.

You look up and caught sight of Elvis' tear stained face and suddenly run back inside and upstairs to your room

You look up and caught sight of Elvis' tear stained face and suddenly run back inside and upstairs to your room. You throw your camera against the wall in blind rage and start sobbing. Your photography was once something you loved and in that moment, you hated everything about it and what you were made to do with your skills. It wasn't worth it anymore. You go to grab your camera and examine the broken contents. The film was still in tact, but you would sooner than later be asking for a new camera. You take in a deep breath calming yourself and wipe your tears away. You had to be strong for Elvis and Vernon. You go back downstairs as they both came back in, finally free from the media circus. You meet Elvis' eyes and give him a hug, allowing yourself to finally shed tears along with him. You could finally grieve along with them, as it should have been. That night was different. Usually you would take your place in your room or with Elvis, cuddled by him, but you insisted on comforting him for a change. Holding him tightly to you as he was curled into the feetle position. You stroked his back as he let out occasional cries, until fatigue took over and he drifted off to sleep. You were awake though, still holding him and observing him in his most vulnerable state. So much had changed over the years yet it had always felt the same, but now all in a matter of days everything truly felt completely different.

August 18th, 1957

Elvis only had one more week before he inevitably had to go back to basic training. He didn't look like he was ready to be outside his bubble, yet the Colonel was eager to push his limits and get him back on the track he was on before. He had even arranged a helicopter ride including you...most likely for pictures with the new camera you hesitently accepted from the Colonel, but you were slightly glad to be outside of the small world of Graceland. Elvis went though, arms crossed and with a constant sullen look on his face. "Take the picture, y/n." He ordered. You rolled your eyes and did as told.

 You rolled your eyes and did as told

Elvis chuckled at your reaction. The first time you had heard his laugh in what seemed like a very long time. Still, it was a small win. You give him a small smile and take your seat next to him in the back of the small helicopter as the pilot took flight. You were shocked at the quick ascent and grab Elvis' hand. He squeezes it slightly and gave you his first big smile in weeks. Maybe things would go back the way they were despite his looming deployment.