Chapter Six: The Boat House

The gravel driveway of Reefer Ricks home jostled my car as we made our way up to the front of the house that was nestled deep within the trees. It was barely visible from the road, if Eddie hadn't shouted at me to turn we would have missed it completely. 

"Jeez princess can't drive any smoother?" Eddie grumbled. 

I didn't dignify his sarcasm with an answer, I knew he just wanted to get a rise out of me. This was the first time he'd said anything since we got in the car, well besides barking driving directions at me. Aside from that he mostly just stared out the window not that I'm complaining. I'd kept my mouth shut this entire drive too because in all honesty I had no idea what to even say to Eddie. Part of me was still in shock that he was in my house, my car, and in my life again. I wasn't sure what to make of the last 24 hours but I knew one thing for certain, my life could never go back to the way it was before. 

"Earth to y/n, make sure to park around back so no one see's your car." Eddie pointed out where he wanted me to go and I followed. 

Once I parked the car it was like we could both finally let out a sigh of relief. The energy in the car was awkward and stifling, neither one of us knew how to break the tension. I tracked Eddie's gaze as he looked down at his hands which were resting gently on his lap. I counted four rings.  I always thought his rings were kind of cheesy but told me it was "metal" and that all the coolest rockstar's of our time wore rings. On his right hand he wore his class ring on his ring finger, no surprise there except for the fact that he'd finally earned it on his own. He had promised to give it to me if he ever made it to his senior year. I'd helped Eddie study for almost every class my freshman year (his junior year) and he said the ring would be a symbol of how I helped him earn his diploma. He ended up passing that year but failed his senior year not once but twice after I stopped editing his papers and helping him with his math.

Let's hope third times the charm. 

A part of me always felt guilty that he didn't graduate on time but another part of me felt like he deserved it for the way he'd cut me off.  

On his left hand were three silver rings one in the shape of a skull on his ring finger and one in the shape of a pig on his middle finger. My breath hitched in my chest as I looked at the last one on his pointer finger. It was the ring I'd bought him after we'd won an almost impossible campaign against our original Dungeon Master. He bet me that if we won I would have to buy him a ring to add to his collection but if we lost he'd have to watch Mommie Dearest with me for the 3rd time.  Needless to say we won and we ended up going to this ratty old second hand shop to pick out his prize. I thought the ring was kind of creepy with the four skulls surrounding a cross but he said it was "symbolic" of our victory in battle. Eddie told me every time I saw the ring I  would remember to always have hope even when it seems like we're surrounded by death. I never thought I'd see that ring on his finger again especially with the way we left things. I thought he'd  chucked it into the quarry. 

"Hmh." Eddie cleared his throat. 

I shook my head out of the jumble that was my thoughts and realized it totally looked like I'd been staring at his crotch this entire time. 

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry I-" No words could escape my lips fast enough. My face felt like it was on fire from all the blood rushing to it. 

"No need to apologize" he twisted the ring I got him, "I know you were just looking at the ring." he chuckled. "Surprised I still wear it?" 

Eddie lifted his warm brown eyes to meet mine. I could see him searching for the answer in them. I didn't dare break his gaze as I replied "Yes."

One corner of his mouth tilted into a smile but it disappeared just as quickly as it had appeared. He let out one of the deepest sighs I'd ever heard. The kind of sigh that comes from within ones soul.