"H-H-Hey."

"Hey!" your voice cracks again and you cover your mouth, shocked at how much your voice was betraying you.

"A-Are you o-ok? T-The boys in-insisted I ca-called you since y-you hadn't c-called them back, but s-since you-you're crying I'm n-now concerned." You could hear it in his voice too, even though the glitches.

"Yeah... Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry."

"Y-You sure? I could bring the boys ov-over there if you w-w-want. I'm sure th-they don't mi-m-mind staying up a little long-er-er. Or I-I could come when they g-g-go to bed. I'm worried abo-about how you're tak-taking all this."

"I'm fine! Honestly. You can come round if you want, all you guys are always welcome with me and Ruby, but it's your choice."

"A-Are you e-even home ye-yet?"

"No..."

"Get fucking ho-home. Now. "

"I-"

"N-NO. You d-don't ar-argue with this. R-Ruby will b-be worried sick, a-and frankly I-I don't want y-you out a-alone at night. I-It's not safe."

"Sorry... I need to get my shit together."

"Y-Yeah. You d-do. I'm n-not gonna l-lie to you, y-you need to s-sort yourself out be-before you even worry ab-about the kids. T-They're taking i-it well, and m-me and Nightmare c-can care for th-them. You ne-need to look a-after yourself. I kn-know you've gott-gotten into a cycle o-of neglecting you-yourself, bu-but you need to get o-out."

"I-I know. I'm trying so hard, I really am. But he needs to understand that when he keeps just appearing in my life it makes me getting better just that much harder..."

"You had ano-another argument d-didn't yo-you."

"... yeah. I don't get why he can't just leave me alone!"

"P-Pretty sure he-he's trying. Pro-Problem is wh-when he sets h-his mind t-to some-something it-it's hard to ge-get him out of i-it, he ev-even struggles st-stopping himself... When h-he was a ki-kid he wa-was forced to mak-make quick dec-decisions impulsively and not to lo-look back, he nev-never grew out of i-it." Error sighs, the exhaustion behind it coming through the phone. "He's unbelievably sm-smart, but it me-means noth-nothing when he do-doesn't think... Look, h-he probably ge-gets you wa-want space, bu-but he ca-can't give it yo-you. He got it i-in his he-head that eve-every time h-he com-comes home yo-you'll be th-there. Sin-since you ar-aren't he com-comes to you. You just ne-need to give him tim-time to readjust again. Th-thats just how he works. Un-Until then you'll have t-to deal wi-with him..." he huffs.

"I shouldn't have to though. That's part of the entire thing. I shouldn't have to tolerate my boyfriend. I should want to see him, if I don't, maybe we were never right for each other in the first place." You huff, another tear escaping making you feel weak and helpless.

"Do-Don't say shit li-like that. He ma-may be an a-ass but I still ca-care about him. He's be-been through a lot t-to make him li-like this. I'm not ma-making excuses fo-for him, bu-but he's had a really ha-hard life. We're luck-lucky he hasn't completely lo-lost it... he was a lot wo-worse a few ye-years back. He got bet-better, so we sto-stopped looking for war-warning signs and be-being met-meticulous with tr-triggers. Th-Thats how he's mana-managed this... did you ev-ever wonder wh-why he wa-was half-blind? Or maybe why hi-his arms and le-legs go uneven and have ma-marks, even wh-when they're co-completely covered in thick goo?"

"I never stopped to think about it. It was his business; I don't want to pry when he didn't decide to tell me himself..." Your voice wabbles slightly when you say this, it wasn't your business, was it?