Chp 29

Notes:

Short baby chapter, just, adding to the story here. I have a fire going outside, so I'll keep this short and sweet. You guys mean the world to me, seriously. If you want any other ships, don't be afraid to ask. Enjoy <3

Nightmare still hadn't come back. After three days, he wasn't home. On top of that, the boys hadn't woke up, except Dust and Cross, who would occasionally wake up with nightmares. Nightmares you didn't know were happening unless you were constantly outside their rooms. Nightmares you didn't know were happening if you were doing anything other than watching their rooms and listening out for literally anything going on in there. You couldn't let them struggle, so you were now out there pretty much all day and completely all night. Ruby was on holiday too, so you weren't disturbing her. You'd probably caught whatever they got too, but you couldn't tell if it was sleep deprivation or illness, so maybe not. Ultimately you weren't doing good, not that you recognised it, nor would you tell anyone. Sighing, you slump on the wall, feeling your legs about to give out anyway. Suddenly you hear noises coming from Cross's room, making you stand up and push open the door.

"Cross..." you say softly, practised after 3 days of doing this. "Cross it's mom. You're safe, it's just a bad dream." You shake his shoulders gently, leaning on the bed slightly out of exhaustion. "C'mon honey, wake up for me... your mom's here for you... you're safe in bed." You shake him a little harder, him waking up and you letting out a breath you didn't know you were holding. He pretty much instantly latched onto you, hugging you like a child would after being lost. "Hey, hey I'm here. I'm not going anywhere sweetie." You rub his back as he sobs into your shoulder quietly, silence saying everything. Until he breaks it.

"W-Where's dad?" he sniffled slightly. Your heart stopped.

"H-Hes not here hun. Sorry. I-I'm sorry." You whimper, trying to sound fine but probably failing. He sits back and starts at you, still holding your arms.

"What do you mean? Isn't he out in the day but comes back at night?" he tilts his head at you, a confused look on his face.

"No. That's not what's going on... for the past three weeks or so he... he hasn't been keeping up with coming home on time... Fo-For the past 3 days he hasn't come home at all. We had a fight, a-and he left, didn't come back."

"What? You've been looking after all of us on your own for the past three weeks? Why didn't you tell us?"

"He told me not to. Didn't want to upset him..."

"D-D'ya even have time to sleep? Eat?" he says quickly, almost tumbling over his words.

"As of late, no. I... I haven't slept for the past three days, and only eaten a little... sorry. I know I should but even if I tried I can't."

"Why're you apologising? Mom, you're amazing... how the hell are you doing any of this on your own? Is dad at least doing important stuff?"

"I- sorry" you laugh a little, crying yet again. Fuck you needed to get a grip. "I have no c-clue. He won't tell m-me, that's part of the reason w-we had a fight..."

"Mom, d'ya need someone to talk to? You seem like you're struggling. No offence or anything!"

"N-None taken." You smile and stroke his cheek gently, tilting your head as you look at him. "I'm fine, honest. You should get some rest now ok? If you need me just shout, I'm only out here." You stand and walk to the door, him frowning.

"Mom, you're limping. and you're just waiting out there for us all day?"

"I'm fine. Just, tired. I think. Don't worry about me... I'm strong. I can handle this."

"Wait... don't go. Please?" he looks up at you with wide eyelights, you chuckle gently and sit back down. "I want to talk to you, even if you don't."

"Its not that I don't want to talk to you! We can talk if you want hun, I'm always here. What's up?"

"I want to ask about the fight, and your day, and everything else you want to talk to me about after that."

"Oh honey... I appreciate the concern, but it's fine. You sure you want to talk about that?" he nods quietly, clearly waiting to listen. You sigh and rub the back of your head, getting comfy. "K' hun. I'll give you a summary of it. Uh, he came back after I got all of you sorted, and I confronted him about how much work he was expecting me to do on my own, and how I needed emotional support from my boyfriend, stuff like that. N-No ones been talking to me for the past three weeks, not even him, so I told him that too. He got mad and shouted at me, saying all this stuff about him needing to do whatever he's doing and that he doesn't trust me. When I explained I can't do anything to help anyone unless he tells me, he called me a bitch and left..."

"Oh my stars... that's horrible... so you've been alone this entire time?"

"pretty much yeah!" you laugh, trying to not cry. It works luckily. " About my day! Uh... OK first I grabbed you guys breakfast, I had some random snacks bits, and waited out there. Dust needed me, so I sorted him out, then I sat out there, then I made you guys lunch, then you needed me, then I waited, then you needed me again, then I made dinner, then Dust needed me, then I waited, now I'm here!"

"Did you sleep?"

"No. I tried yesterday...? Or the day before, it doesn't matter, anyway I couldn't, and there's no point doing nothing when I have to look after you now is there?"

"I-I'm so sorry."

"Why?"

"Well... I don't know, you're all alone, no help, we can't do anything about it. You must be exhausted, and frankly I'm worried that you're limping. You've only just sorted out your head right?" he says, concern lacing his voice.

"Oh I'm fine! That's just from going stiff from being sat on the floor or stood up all day." Least that's what you were hoping. Not that you were adding that to your sentence "Do you need anything else?"

"I need a hug." You smile and hug him tightly, him hugging back. Grinding your teeth slightly, you stand and leave, saying bye and hoping he wasn't worried about you. You were fine anyway right? Hearing a portal open, you actually run to it this time, one hand over your mouth in disbelief, tears streaming. Completely ignoring the pain, you break into a sprint. Until you round the corner and find nothing. At all. You look around frantically but find no one, the air hasn't even shifted with magic.

Well, that's new.