𝐩𝐝 𝟐:𝟑

ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴇɪɢʜ ꜱᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

Averie stood up quickly, looking around to see if she could help anyone who was injured while Jay chased after the man.

Standing behind the counter, she pressed her hands to Maddie's neck trying to stop the bleeding, while flinching at the sound of shots outside.

"I need you to stay calm," Averie said to Maddie. She looked at the other bartender, a blonde woman, "I need you to call 911 now." She turned back to the injured bartender, "Honey, everything's going to be okay."

"Averie?" she heard him call out.

"Back here!" she replied.

"Was anybody hit?" he asked.

"Jay come here! I need more towels," she said to the bartender.

Jay went outside to meet the ambo when they heard sirens.

"Shot to the neck, Averie's got her behind the bar," he explained to Skylar.

"Alright. We got it from here. I need the stretcher. The back board, and kerlix for the bleeding," Sky took the towels from Averie's hands.

"You'll get him," she reassured Jay, moving to hug him without getting blood on his shirt. "I'm gonna go with them to med, you go to the station. I'll keep you updated." she told him.

"Okay," he nodded. She placed a chaste kiss to his lips before following the paramedic out.

-

"So you knew the victim?" Hank asked Jay once he and Alexia entered from the back.

"Maddie Callahan. She worked there," he stated.

"No ID on the shooter?" Hank asked. Alex responded but Jay didn't hear what she replied with, too busy answering Averie's call.

"Hey. Maddie's in the ICU," she told him.

"Okay," he replied.

"Jay, she's alive," she continued. "This is not your fault."

"Yeah, thanks Ave," he mumbled off a replied before ending the call.

Alex looked at him expectantly.

"That was Averie, Maddie's in the ICU, she's alive," he explained quickly.

"Someone needs to talk to Bembenik," Antonio stated.

"Olinsky's already on that," Hank said.

Kevin rushed in, "A black arcadia was found abandonded in Englewood. It matches the description of the getaway vehicle. But there's no prints. They torched it."

Adam gained their attention, "A white male just checked into a south side clinic about a half hour ago, two bullet wounds."

"Alright, Lindsay, Antonio, get on it," Hank instructed. Jay started to grab his coat. "No, no, no, Jay. You're in protective custody until this dies down."