Chapter Twenty

I couldn't believe it. We were finally here.

    I sat next to my brother and our friends on the iconic red steps in Times Square, eating lunch, taking in all the obnoxious huge billboards and screens.

    "A year and a half ago, the New Directions were nothing but a group of six misfits stumbling their way through a horrific rendition of 'Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat'. Now here we are, at the top of the show choir heap. Nationals!" Kurt exclaimed.

    "I wanna hit up Central Park, get my frolic on," Tina said.

    "I wanna throw stuff off the Brooklyn Bridge," Puck said.

    "I wanna go see Wicked," I gasped and turned to my brother. "We should enter the ticket lottery!"

    "Yes!" he squealed, taking my hands in his.

    "Guys, hold on," Finn said. "I mean, we still have two songs to write."

    "Okay, Mr. Bossy Pants," Kurt turned back to us. "But I think we have some time for a tune before we leave. Start spreading the news."

    "I'm leaving today," we all sang. "I want to be a part of it. New York, New York."

Rachel joined us, "Guys, I have news. To celebrate our impending win at nationals, I got us all fourteen tickets to Broadway's longest-running show ever, Cats."

"Um, you might want to check the dates on those, Rach," I said, killing the vibe. "Cats closed about eleven years ago and Phantom has been the longest running show for a while now."

"He did seem a little crazy," she said as she realized that she got scammed. "He charged my credit card by swiping it through his butt crack."

"You got your first New York scam. Yay!" I said sarcastically, clapping for her.

Once we were done with lunch, we all went to the hotel in Times Square that we were staying in at Mr. Schue's request. We got rooms on the seventh floor, and we had a meeting in one of the rooms us kids had. We were splitting up by gender, minus Kurt who was staying with us girls.

My older brother sat down the room service menu, "Did you know that I can get an ahi tartare and a steak sandwich at three in the morning from their all-night dining menu? I feel like Eloise."

"I have pills for that," Brittany said.

"Alright guys, now's your time," Mr. Schue said. "Now, you are all on lockdown till you finish writing our songs for nationals. I want at least two solid verses by the time that I get back."

"Aren't you gonna help us?" Tina asked.

"I, um . . . I will be back and read your amazing creations and give notes but right now I have to head to the theatre to, uh, fill out some paperwork."

He left us alone.

I knew this wasn't going to go anywhere.

And I was right because as far as we got was Brittany, Artie, and Puck writing a song called "My Cup". I officially gave up. I turned my head to Kurt and rested it on his arm, just annoyed and exhausted.

When they finished, Tina said, "Hold on. Are you singing about a cup?"

"Yeah, totally," Brittany said.

"That's it," I said, sitting back up, crawling over Kurt to get off the bed that I was cramped on with him, Rachel, and Lauren. I walked over to the chair I had set my jacket on, grabbing it.

"Wait. No, no, no. Mr. Schue gave us explicit instructions," Rachel said.

"To write a song," I said, putting my jacket on. "And our problem is that our only inspiration are mattresses and bathroom cups."