Chapter Five

"So what are you gonna be for Halloween this year?" Kurt asked Brittany as we waited for Mr. Schue to start rehearsal that next week.

"I'm going as a peanut allergy," she replied with a smile.

"Now that's offensive," I said whilst Kurt gawked at her.

"Great news, guys," Mr. Schue said as he walked in. "I've had a little inspiration. This week's musical lesson isn't really a lesson. It's a musical. Rocky Horror."

Kurt and I looked at each other smiling as we all started murmuring in excitement.

"Mr. Schue?" Rachel said.

"Yeah?"

"While I admire your choice of the groundbreaking '70s musical aren't you worried the adult themes might cause a little controversy?"

"She does have a point, as sad as I am to admit it," I said. "A school in Texas couldn't even do Rent. It caused an outrage and they had to cancel the show."

"Isn't that the whole point of the arts? Pushing boundaries, doing things people say you can't for the sake of self-expression? Look, I got it all figured out. I cut some of the more risque sections and I'm sending home permission slips to all your parents to make sure they're okay with it. And we are going to charge admission, and use the proceeds to help pay for transportation to nationals in New York," Mr. Schue said, making us all excited. "Okay, let's talk about casting."
"Oh. Finn and I will play Brad and Janet," Rachel said.

"Oh," Mr. Schue said with a smile as he went to grab a pad and paper.

"And I'll be playing the guy in the wheelchair, right?" Artie asked.

"That's what I was thinking. And I thought Kurt could play the role of Frank-N-Furter."

"No," my brother said. "There is no way I'm playing a transvestite in high heels and fishnets and wearing lipstick."

"Why? Because that look was last season?" Santana said.

"I'll do it," Mike said.

"Really? It's like the male lead," Tina said.

"I know, but I'm feeling a little more confident about my singing voice after our duets project."

"Great. I have no problem with that," our teacher said. "Now, we're a little short on female roles so we're gonna have to double up on Columbias and Magentas."

"It's standard practice on Broadway," Rachel said before turning to the rest of us girls. "It'll preserve your voices."

"I'd like to preserve you in a jar in my basement," Mercedes said.

We all laughed.

"Sam. I'd like you to play the role of the creature," Mr. Schue said.

"From The Black Lagoon?" Sam asked.

"Rocky. He's like the Frankenstein character, but blond," Quinn said. "You'll kill the part. He's cute, just like you."

"Better start working on those abs," Santana said.

"Are you kidding me? You could cut glass with these babies," Sam replied. "I have no problem showing off my body."

"Okay. Looks like we got ourselves a show," our teacher said, making us all cheer.

* * * * *

"Alright, places, Finn and Rachel," Mr. Schue said the next day in rehearsal. "I wanna start with 'Dammit Janet'."