Chapter Fifteen

"So what are we gonna do now?" Mercedes asked after Mr. Schue told us that Sue had told My Chemical Romance that we were gonna do their song for regionals, and now we couldn't because of a copyright violation.

    "I think we should write original songs for regionals," I said.

    "All those in favor of voting Kimberly down a second time?" Santana asked a few people to raise their hands.

    "No, I think Kimberly is right," Quinn said, shocking me. "This team works best when we push ourselves and do something different."

"That's true, but if all the other teams are doing amazing songs we're not gonna be so good," Mercedes said.

"You're right. We're not gonna be as good. We're gonna be better. We won't be using other people's words or music. It'll be our own. Our own heart, soul, not just our voices. We have a really talented songwriter in our midst. Kim, I was thinking maybe you and I could write a song together."

"Well–"

"I'm with Quinn and Kimberly," Finn interrupted me. "If these two can agree on something, it's probably an idea worth considering–"

"So wait, suddenly, you two are writing the music for regionals?" Santana asked. "No way. Everyone should get a chance to write a song."

"I–"

"Santana's right," Sam interrupted me. "We can do this."

"What do you think, Mr. Schue?" Mercedes asked.

"I think we're doing original songs for regionals," he said.

I looked over at Quinn who smiled at me. I already have my own original song, but I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

After rehearsal she came to me as people started filing out of the room, "So, when do you want to meet up?"

"Quinn, look, I appreciate that you want to do it with me, and I think that's really nice of you, but I already have one that I've been working on since I brought the idea up."

"Oh. It's okay," she said with a small smile.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, don't worry I'm not hurt."

"You better not be lying to me, I hate it when people lie about their feelings."

"I'm not," she said with a smile. "I think I'll ask Rachel."

*    *   *    *   *

I walked into the choir room from working in the auditorium to see everyone brainstorming words for songs, and I saw the words, "Loser Like Me".

"Let's get to writing," Mr. Schue said.

"Wait!" I said with a smile, walking over to the whiteboard. I laughed before turning to my friends, "It's like you guys have been snooping in my room because . . ." I pulled out sheet music from my backpack. "I just finished my song for regionals, and it is literally called 'Loser Like Me'."

"You're kidding," Finn said with a smile.

"I'm not," I said, "and I think you guys are all going to like it."

*   *    *   *   *

    We walked into the auditorium for regionals to see Aural Intensity already going. They were singing an annoying song that I don't even know what it was called.

    And then it was Dalton, and I had no idea that Blaine and Kurt were leading the song "Candles". I loved the song and to see that Kurt was leading it just made me love it so much more. From where we were sitting halfway back, my brother didn't find me right away, but then he did, and we both shared that identical smile we had when we were proud of each other.