ONE (Book III)

THIS IS THE FIRST CHAPTER OF BOOK III OF THIS SERIES, IF YOU WANT TO FOLLOW ALONG WITH THE REST OF THE BOOK, PLEASE ADD METAMORPHOSE TO YOUR READING LIST :)

**^**

Paradise on earth. I guess that was what this was.

Paradise, or the closest fucking thing to it.

We had been here close to a month, a rough estimate made from tallies in the sand, and Kiara's rather obscure ability to calculate the moon phases. Something to do with astrology, I'm sure.

I guess it should be some big deal that we hadn't been rescued yet, but, none of us seem to see it that way, even with everything that's happened. Maybe it was because we didn't have any of the responsibilities we would've had inland, or maybe the island gave us a break from our failures.

Regardless, paradise did suit the island best, even at the worst of times, even during the times I don't remember. JJ insists it doesn't happen too often, yet, I can always tell when it does. Those were the times when I'm reminded of the fact that whatever happiness I felt right now—it's going to be temporary, and eventually, reality was going to catch up with me again. It was paradise, as long as I pretended JJ's injuries continued to heal, the injuries his dad gave him after he tossed his pills into the ocean. Two slices along his back, and one across his front—the marks left from the machete a pattern practically engraved into my mind at this point, as I can picture every curve, every jagged indent; the messy lines make it too easy to picture their delivery, the shaky hands of a man experiencing withdrawals written all over his son's body.

It was paradise as long as I could ignore the scar that extended along my forearm; a reminder of just how bad things can get. A reminder of what I did, of what I know they all think about from time to time.

Still, it was paradise, despite the memories we all still carried on our shoulders.

JJ jokes about not ever going back, and in a perfect world I might even think he's being sincere. But, I know he knows deep down that natural remedies will only get us so far, and though he'll never admit it out loud, his injuries weren't exactly healing the way they should be.

At least Laurie was getting stronger. I found myself focusing on that more than the other stuff, as, all things considered, my bad days included? I had been doing weirdly well.

I've been happy.

"Alright John B, your turn. Truth or dare?"

He stands, raising his arms up in the air as if he was making some grand declaration. "Truth!" He exclaims, catching the hat that Sarah throws him and placing it on his head.

Sarah thinks for a moment, smiling when she comes up with a question. "If you were to do it all again... what would you do different?"

JJ jumps in before John B has time to answer; "uh... get the gold before Ward did?"

Don't throw your dad's pills out into the ocean. Was probably a better answer, but I hold my tongue as it didn't exactly fit the current vibe.

"Maybe... hide the cross a little better?" Pope adds.

"Not yell 'murderer' at Ward, maybe?"