FORTY-SEVEN (III)

**JJ**

At some point, I knew our luck was going to run out and it was going to get to be all too much for her, what I didn't know was that all it'd take was a loud noise.

We should've gone home after we got the van out of the mud, I should've taken the van after jumpstarting it, and we should've parted ways right then and there. But we didn't, and instead, we went with the other to the church because we were excited, and because we wanted to find the cross with the rest of them.

So, our luck ran out.

When we walked into the church, John B had thought to pull back one of the loose floor boards, trying to see if Denmark had hidden the cross in the same way he had hidden the gold, somehow managing to create some sort of chamber beneath the church. But, the board was still fastened into the ground on the other side, and so when John B had noticed the floor wasn't going to pop up easily, he had dropped it, the wood snapping back down into place with such a force that it actually split down the middle.

And, of course, it had made a noise.

Everyone jumped back, and my eyes just so happened to have landed on Lexi's as she let out a sharp gasp in surprise, her hand came up to clutch her chest as she wildly looks around to try and figure out what had just happened. Our eyes look, and I see how wide hers were before she just... dropped to the floor.

That was when I really wished we had just gone home.

"I'm sorry," John B had rushed out as I moved to her, "oh fuck! Fuck, I'm sorry! Wha... what..."

I couldn't remember if any of them had ever seen it before, but from the looks of it they hadn't as they were sorta just standing around her in shock; "guys," I finally managed to grit out, "maybe step back if you aren't going to do anything, can somebody get me something for her head?"

She didn't really 'seize' like they do in movies or anything, it was more like a twitch or a heightened muscle spasm, but I really didn't want to risk anything as I take the cushion that Pope had brought and placed it under her head.

"Is she going to be okay?" Pope asked me.

"She's, erm... she should be, but..." she probably won't remember anything, I finish silently too myself , figuring it was already obvious, and so there wasn't any point at stating it out loud. "It's not your fault JB, we just pushed things too far," I tell him, "it's good that it wasn't a bad scenario."

It was just a floorboard. A floorboard was able to damage her brain to the point where the scans would look like she had been in a major car accident.

"It's fine," I mutter again, "just keep looking for the cross, I've got the princess."

I've got her.

When she does wake up, I tell her about the house on the sea, trying to take her away from this run down church that looks like it's on the verge of collapsing.

"You're..."

"JJ, my name is JJ," I had told her, "we're... together."

"We have a house," she murmured, and thus, I start talking about everything I had remembered, everything that we had mapped out before.

It goes on for a while, before she dozes off in my arms and I'm left to stifle my emotions so that I can keep up to the world around me. I find myself wishing I could go back to how I felt earlier in the day, as I had been feeling comfortable with life for the first time in a while.

The worst part is that there was no one to really blame for how I feel now, knowing that all I can do is hope to find that comfort again, and savour it when it comes.