THIRTY-TWO (II)

Trigger warning: graphic description of violence/blood; I'm just going to say now that it's going to be a ride for the next little bit, and so if this is too much just stop at any time

__________________________________________

**LEXI**

"John B didn't want to stay with Sarah?" I ask JJ once John B was out of earshot and we were back at the chateau.

"I guess he thought it'd be weird," JJ tells me, shrugging a little indifferently, "the whole thing is just... a bad situation."

"I'd still want to be with you," I tell him, "I think it would hurt me if you had just stood there like John B had."

"Yea... dudes in shock—"

"—I know," I quickly tell him, "I don't think he did anything wrong, I'm just saying..."

"Yea, I know," JJ cuts in, "it felt weird to watch, I don't know how he could just leave her there."

He lets me go about my nighttime routine, as I didn't like going to bed without at least washing my face. When I come back, I see JJ's already made himself comfortable in the guest bed, grinning when he sees that I'm wearing his clothes to bed.

"Hey," he murmurs once I'm lying down next to him, pausing to make sure I'm comfortable, "wanna talk about earlier?"

I knew it was coming, and I'm partly grateful that he was the only who brought it up as I would've let it slide until he did, even if I wanted to tell him. "I heard Kie talking about me," I admit, even those words alone granting me a bit of relief as I let them roll off my tongue.

"Talking about you?"

"Talking about us," I clarify, "but directing most of the cheap shots towards me."

"Wh-why?"

"Good fuckin' question," I laugh humourlessly, "I guess she thinks we shouldn't be together... that I'm... unhinged, and I'll break you because you can't handle me."

"She said that?" JJ asks, not expecting her to be so cut-throat, "s-she thinks we should, what? Breakup?"

"Yea, something like that," I tell him; tasting bile.

"Are you okay?"

"One of the only people who I've ever called my family literally thinks I'm a burden to my fucking boyfriend, and I don't even know what I did to deserve it," I tell JJ, "so no. I'm not doing wonderful with that thought constantly in my mind."

"She had no reason to speak about you in that way," JJ tells me, the shock beginning to wear off and replace itself with anger, "and the fact that she's talking shit about a relationship that isn't hers is fucking ridiculous."

"That's what we were arguing about earlier, I uh... called her jealous and a bunch of other things, I honestly wanted to tell her that I knew about what had happened between you two in the summer," I explain as JJ's now sitting upright in anger. "S-she's been like this since I've been back, J. Not necessarily blatantly aggressive towards me, but, weird whenever we are together. I-I couldn't take it anymore, and it hurt to feel so sick when I'd see her and she would just continue to be oblivious to my pain."