FORTY-THREE (III)

**LEXI**

**LEXI**

JJ doesn't like to sleep.

Not in a way where he's got a lot of energy and simply doesn't need it, but in a way where he's panicking whenever he wakes up. I notice him, setting alarms for 5, 6am, even if all he does when he wakes up is lie in bed with me—it just, makes him feel better to be awake.

I try not to think about it, so naturally, it's all I can focus on.

"Hey, Lex."

I turn towards the voice, Sarah studying me closely as she stands on the other side of the aisle, marshmallows in hand; "do you think these will work?"

We had been tasked with grocery shopping, her and I; another way to test my limits through mundane tasks. "Yea," I say, "looks good."

I knew she wasn't asking for my opinion, as I realize I had probably spent the last 5 minutes staring at the canned corn without moving a muscle, lost in my thoughts as my mind always goes back to him, even when he's not here.

Especially when he's not here.

"Do you think it's weird?" She asks as she tosses the marshmallows into the cart, "that Topper had tried to kiss me?"

I blink, my head pulsing from the florescent lights that lit the store, "he tried to kiss you?"

"Yea, at the bonfire, you know, before..." she trails off as her expression twists, leaving me to fill in the gaps for myself.

"Before I tried to throw myself off of the lighthouse?" 

She doesn't respond, and instead, continues on with her thought, "he's been, really off since then," she explains, "I don't know if I should cut him off, or what. Because I already told him it wasn't going to work with us, but he doesn't seem to listen, y'know?"

"Isn't... Isn't Topper your boyfriend?"

"Nono, well, he was, not anymore, not since John B."

"Right..."

I had absolutely no idea who she was fucking talking about, but I've learn't by now that it is much easier to just nod my head and go along with it. Whether she can tell or not, she continues on, "so yea, I just don't know what I should do."

I think for a moment, "if he isn't listening to you, then maybe you should take some space," I suggest with a shrug, spotting gram crackers and throwing them into the cart with a casual indifference; clasping my hands together once I turn away in an attempt to steady them without Sarah finding out.

I glance up, my back still turned to Sarah as my eyes land on the figure a few feet away from me; everything going cold as I hear Sarahs warning somewhere in the back of my mind. But it was too late.

"Hey sweetheart."

I feel myself go pale, stepping back as Sarah takes hold of my hand.

"Dad?"