FIFTY-FIVE (III)

Warning: recreational drug use (Lmao y'all will understand in a moment, but, I should also mention that I'm not recommending this sort of thing that you shall see in a moment, and stuff like this should actually be well researched beforehand)
__________________________________________

**LEXI**

It had been 48 hours since being stranded on this island, and I was starting to get sick of fish real fast.

Kiara had backed off, and later I asked JJ what she had talked to him about after I had left.

"Just wanted to have another one of the same conversations, again," he had said, "I told her nothing had changed."

It was the last time we talked about it.

"Do you... think he needs a spotter or something?"

I turn to look in the direction that JJ is looking in, gesturing to Laurie as he paces back and forth, waist deep in water. "I don't think physical therapy involves the threat of getting swept out to sea," JJ adds, cringing slightly as another wave comes in an tests Lauries balance.

"He isn't going to listen if we tell him to come in," I sigh, "I'll keep an eye on him."

"What a good sister," JJ chuckles, kissing the side of my face before lying down in the sand, letting the sun beat down on his face.

Laurie comes in when the waves get to be too big, and I go out to body surf with the others, looking back every once in a while to see him making small talk with Cleo. It was refreshing to see him talking to someone who didn't have a good 30 years on him, even if nothing comes of it.

I try not to worry about JJ's bandages as he surfs next to me, letting myself relax for a moment, giving myself a second to just be in the moment.

But it's hard when I replace the bandages when we get out, and see that the injury was a little bit more raised than it was last time.

"Lex, it's okay," he reminds me, "it's all gunna be good."

I'm left staring off into the distance when I'm done bandaging him, letting him go and grab me some food while I'm left to face reality.

"It's getting worse, isn't it?"

I look up to see Laurie standing over me, slowing making his way down next to me as I nod, "yea. He wont admit it."

"We'll get out of here," Laurie tries to assure me, "but he has a point, there's no use in worrying over something you can't control."

"And what happens when we get back?" I ask after a moment, "have you... thought about that at all?"

Laurie lets out a breath, "I have some ideas, not as many for you, though."

"Well then, what's your plan?"

"There's this... scholarship at Columbia. It got me thinking about how I never considered that I might be able to make my own way, but I got past the first round of applications. If I get it, dad wouldn't have as much control—as he wouldn't be paying for the whole thing. Which, is how they operate, money is power Lexi, why do you think he always bought you all those things whenever he went too far?"

I don't let myself feel the emotions that come with that statement, and instead press on; "but, you're going to go home?"

"I'll be more careful now, we know better than to walk into dads anger blind. If I seal the door, only come in through the outside, I can't see how that would really be so bad," Laurie explains, "this way, I'll still have a chance, and when we're 18, we can think about maybe holding them responsible for what they have done."