chapter nineteen: doomsday

✧︎

✧︎

THE INTENSITY OF HIS GAZE made you forget how to breathe properly. For once, it looked like he had so much to tell you. And it was killing him that he couldn't. Your sad eyes never left his figure and his determined ones never left yours.

Octavia held you in the air high above Miles Morales. Your face, usually relaxed and reserved was morphed into a reality-shattering frown. One Miles didn't fail to see.

"I tried to stay away this time, honest!" Your voice was trembling and as hard as you tried to put on a brave front, you were shivering like a leaf. You were silently pleading with him to believe your unbelievable words.

And he somehow knew, just by looking at you what you were asking of him. His head dipped, "I believe you." And he let out a harsh sigh. One that was filled with a breath of anxiety. Of course, he knew.

Miles looked up at the woman, "What do you want." Was all he uttered. He was done with the games, he was done running away. He was done. It didn't solve anything.

Miles has come to terms with the fact that the universe must be playing a cruel prank on him. Because no matter how hard he tries to get away, there's always a reason to pull him back in.

There's a moment of silence, "You." Until she says those words. Her eyes flashed dangerously as she looked down at the boy.

"Me?" He points to himself, alarmed.

The woman laughs, it's dry and there's no humor behind it. She gives her lips a quick lick, blinking her eyes they seem to shift into something more, something darker.

And Miles notices, he sees the way her eyes shift, the way she changes after those words left his lips.

"Do you know how much I can get off your body alone? All the experiments..." She trails off. Thankfully, letting everyone use their imagination.

And Miles doesn't give it a minute of hesitation. "I don't care, you can use me, beat me, break me." He means those word's because how can he fall asleep knowing you're afraid? How can he rest his eyes when every time he closes them, all he sees is you.

"Miles, no! Don-!" You were close to tears that night, and something in Miles snapped. His eyes harden. He could hear the sadness in your voice and it took every ounce of his strength to not go to you and have you in his arms.

"Leave her out of this."

The woman cocks her head, amused, "She became part of this the second you decide to take her with you Miles Morales."

You lock eyes with the boy as his name falls from her lips. It wasn't the first time she's said it but it was the first time his name was mentioned with a threat. There was malice in his name, it leaked from her mouth.

Your dark orbs flash with a warning but Miles ignores it. He doesn't care that she said his name, that she knows his true identity, none of that matters to him. You, you're all that matters, all that mattered.