Chapter Thirteen: I didn't know

✧︎

✧︎

EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWED NEXT WENT DOWN IN SLOW MOTION. In the blink of an eye, Miles grabbed your hand and pulled you across the room, away from the intruder you hadn't yet seen. You're both crouched behind the tv stand. And for some reason, you're not as scared as you should be.

Miles, on the other hand, was a mess.

His breathing was erratic. His eyes bugged out of his skull, blown with fear, and his palms sweaty as ever. You look over at him pulling down his mask you put a finger to your lips telling him silently with your eyes to calm down.

Right as your hand leaves his face there's a rush of air that hits your back and the realization hits you, they were standing right behind you.

You turn around on the floor and you're met with the Prowler's face right in front of yours. You hold your breath and squeeze your eyes shut waiting for him to grab you but, it never comes.

Opening your eyes you discover that you're invisible. A smile reaches your lips. He did it. It's too soon to celebrate though. The Prowler puts a hand up to his ear, his index and middle fingers extending he taps the side of his head, seeming like he answered a call.

"Hello, Mr. Fisk. I've got the security tapes from the tunnel right here. If the kids out there, I'll find them." The Prowler says with a deep unrecognizable voice that makes you sick to the stomach. He then stands, pulling off his mask in the process.

Wait.

No, it can't be.

It was- that's—your jaw dropped and the world seemed to crash around you ... There's just no way. Those four words kept racing in your head in circles, never-ending.

Uncle Aaron is, "—You know me, sir. I don't ever quit." Your heart drops. It drops to your stomach and you feel sick, beyond sick. This can't be happening, what kind of cruel joke was this?

Were you being pranked? Was this a joke?? It had to be. It has to be. You refused to believe what your eyes were showing you. Why, why did it have to be him?

Your head couldn't seem to wrap around the fact that Uncle Aaron was the man that's been chasing you around the city with the means of killing you all night. But wait... something doesn't make sense. If it was Miles's Uncle the whole time then how come he didn't realize that it was you he was chasing? Or, perhaps, he did...? It doesn't make sense.

But then you correct yourself. He never saw you with Miles. This would be his first time seeing you, you only knew of his existence because Miles told you about him.

You didn't have the time to dwell on that right now. Because it was then that your brain came to the realization, the realization that Miles just found out the truth.

You turn your head to look back at Miles, your panicked face meets his, and your heart breaks ever so slightly. He was just as distraught, even more so than you.