Chapter three: sweet

✧︎

✧︎

      YOU WERE FOUND on the doorsteps of Brooklyn Visions Academy, laughing with Inami. You decided to wait for Miles, seeing as she cooled you down. Smiling at something Imani said you give her a light shove and playfully tell her to stop when she says something you disagree with.

She rolls her eyes, "Girl I'm just saying. It's been years! That doesn't seem crazy to you. Like, this boy gottaaa be gay or sum."

You're quick to defend him, "Come on, he just doesn't see me in that way, y'know?" She gives you the look, a look that says 'rlly? you're kidding right?' And you just fold over with more laughter.

"Where is that boy anyways?" She then says looking around for him.

Your eyes scan the large crowd of students in front of you, and you see that he's just now getting out of his dad's car. Damn, did his dad give him a lecture or something why'd it take so long... "Oh, there he is." You point over to him standing on the tips of your toes.

Waving at him you give him a bright smile when you see that he's found you, and he returned the smile. Lifting his hand to wave back he goes to say something when—

"—You gotta say I love you back."

His words die on his tongue. You watch as the color drains from his face and he cringes as if he got a brain freeze. Your jaw drops in disbelief, there's no way this man was seriously doing this to him.

It's seven in the morning.

It's his son's first day at a different high school, not his fist day at kindergarten. You couldn't believe this was happening.

You watch as all eyes find Miles's figure, standing at the steps of the school horror-struck on his poor face. He spins around, "Dad are you serious?" He rushed out.

Imani nudges your shoulder a knowing smile on her face. You just turn to her asking her what without the words leaving your lips. She doesn't answer.

"I want to hear it!"

"You wanna hear me say-"

"I love you, Dad!"

"You're driving me all the way to school-"

The two go back and forth for what seems like hours you just stood there and watched, and you felt bad for Miles. You knew how easily embarrassed he gets, and this? This was just cruel. He took everything to heart and picked it apart in his mind piece by piece until it made sense to him. He stressed over the littlest things, this would make him the talk of the school, it was only his first day.

You watched as his back heaved and his head dropped. He let out a loud groan, "Dad. I love you." He grumbled out reluctantly. "That's a copy." Mr. Jefferson said with a smirk his eyes then found you and the realization hits you like a ton of bricks.