Mira In The Field

Start from the beginning

Mira wanted to hesitate because of her fear of danger, but she couldn't argue with her boss. She was given an order, and she should follow it or she'll lose her job.

"Yes, sir," she sighed while hanging her head down as she left the room sadly. When Mira closed the door behind her, she knew she won't survive this assignment. She needed something more than just a notebook and a pen. "I think I'm gonna use some help."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later in the afternoon, after Mira left her work, she headed straight to the Bad Guys' hideout. She made sure that no one notice her heading under the bridge of the 6th Street Viaduct while she was driving there. As she remembered, there was a big tunnel that lead to the Bad Guys' hideout, so she carefully drove there. with the headlights on. When she arrived at the hideout, Mira told the Bad Guys everything about the assignment of her job.

"You what?" Tarantula inquired.

"Field journalism? Is it a dangerous thing?" Shark asked.

"I know, but my boss already assigned me to a field journalism, and the article I have to write was the stolen artifact from the Natural History Museum the other night," Mira explained.

"The Jade of Ammit? Oof, that is one of the most dangerous artifacts there is!" Piranha exclaimed.

"You know about that artifact?" Mira quickly pulled out her notebook and pen.

Wolf replied with his pawns behind his back, "Yes. Back in our criminal days, we studied artifacts, and what they are capable of. We heard about the robbery at the Natural History Museum, and that artifact is called the Jade of Ammit. Whoever looked directly into the jade, it will give them their biggest fears and worst nightmares. That is why it was kept in a glass box. The jade won't work within glass."

"And... did you steal it before?" the journalist asked.

"We can't. It's too risky. Plus, why do we even need it? Showing their enemies' worst nightmares was a bit extreme or we would stare at the jade ourselves, and we would see our worst nightmares," Snake answered.

"A lot of criminals want to steal it. There is only one criminal who wants to get their hands on it: Silver Fox," Tarantula announced.

But Mira interrupted with a snicker, "Silver Fox? I don't want to sound mean, but would the term 'fox' be racist to Governor Foxington?"

"Not all foxes are bad, but not all of them are good either. It might be a nod to Governor Foxington's name, but that is how he used it... really likely as an excuse of proving that foxes are as bad as our animal species," the Bad Guy leader explained.

"Okay, but, what do you know about Silver Fox?"

"He's a mob boss. He had proven to be one of the high mob bosses in the city. If caught, he'll pack his bags and leave. If in a cell, he can bail out from it. He might be friendly when you meet him, but he's not an idiot. We knew him before. He even wanted to hire us to do his dirty work, but we declined the offer and parted ways."

"That was during my first year as a Bad Guy. I had a lecture to know other criminals than myself and my team," Hornet added, remembering his first year on the job.

"So, why does he need that artifact?" Mira questioned while holding her pen.

"We don't know yet, but we will meet him tonight to see if he has it. And then, we will retrieve that artifact, and return it to the museum," Snake answered.

"And I'll go with you."

"No, Mira, you can't. It's too dangerous," Tarantula watched.

"I know, but if I go back to work tomorrow empty-handed or without progress, I'm gonna lose my job," the journalist whimpered sadly.