thirty six | the vampires of venice

Start from the beginning

After a couple seconds of Rory and the Doctor simply staring at each other and Annabelle only raising her eyebrows in response to the way that the Doctor was just staring at Rory, Amy said, "So, this date. I'm kind of done with running down corridors. What do you think, Rory?"

With a nod of his head in Annabelle's direction, Rory quietly asked Amy, "Does-Does she really need to be here for this?" When Amy only stared at him with furrowed eyebrows, Rory quietly told her, "I mean, she's done nothing but stare at me since the Doctor picked her up not even an hour ago."

After turning her head to look over at Annabelle and seeing that she was in fact just staring at Rory, Amy looked back at Rory and said to her, "Oh, that's just Annabelle, it's fine. It's not like she's going to actually kill you or anything– not if the Doctor has anything to say about it." When he only stared at Amy with slightly widened eyes, she said to him, "And also, there's no point in talking about her quietly because she can hear everything we're saying."

This alone made Rory's eyes become that much wider, while Annabelle simply started to smirk to herself as she listened to just how much faster Rory's heart was beating because of the information that he had just been given about Annabelle, shortly before the Doctor asked Amy and Rory, "How about somewhere romantic?"

* * *

After opening the door to the TARDIS, the Doctor threw up his arms as he said, "Venice! Venezia! La Serenissima!" After the door to the TARDIS had been closed and Rory only continued to keep himself at a distance from Annabelle, who wasn't even paying him the least bit of attention at that exact moment, the Doctor said, "Impossible city. Preposterous city! Founded by refugees running from Atilla the Hun. It was just a collection of little wooden huts in the middle of the marsh, but became one of the most powerful cities in the world."

As he led the three of them away from the TARDIS, the Doctor said, "Constantly being invaded, constantly flooding, constantly just beautiful! Ah, you've got to love Venice. And so many people did. Byron, Napoleon, Casanova." With a gasp, he raised one of his hands and said, "That reminds me. 1580. That's alright. Casanova doesn't get born for 145 years. Don't want to run into him. I owe him a chicken."

While the three of them continued to walk after the Doctor, Rory asked him, "You owe Casanova a chicken?"

In turn, the Doctor said to him, "Long story. We had a bet."

It was then that a man quickly stepped in front of the Doctor and said to him, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Papers, if you please. Proof of residency, current bill of medical inspection."

After pulling out his psychic paper and holding it out in front of the man, the Doctor said to him, "There you go, fella." After the man had quickly taken the paper out of the Doctor's hand, the Doctor said, "All to your satisfaction, I think you'll find."

After quickly looking between the four of them, the man said to the Doctor, "I am so sorry, Your Holiness." While Annabelle simply snorted to herself in response to seeing the man bow to the Doctor, the man said, "I-I didn't realize."

The Doctor replied, "No worries. You were just doing your job. Sorry, what exactly is your-your job?"

The man told him, "Well, checking for aliens, visitors from foreign lands what might bring the plague with them."

Then Amelia said to the Doctor, "Oh, that's nice. See where you bring me? The plague!"

With a shake of his head, the man said to Amy, "Don't worry, Viscountess." While Amy had only let out a sigh and Rory simply looked over at her with furrowed eyebrows, the man said, "No, we're under quarantine here. No-one comes in, no-one goes out, and all because of the grace and wisdom of our patron, Signora Rosanna Calvierri."