Crushed Spirit

(A/N) So it goes without saying, but I apologize for any mistranslations of the French language in this book. This will be the last time I apologize for it as it should just be something expected at this point XD but if it doesn't make sense for any reason, then I apologize. Anyway, enjoy this upload on my Birthday :D

Communication was important, it was one of the many things that allowed Humans to advance beyond their primal ancestors. However, that same communication could be brought to a halt in a heartbeat, and that was due to language barriers. Not being able to communicate through written or verbal means was detrimental, and made survival much harder than it needed to be. Thankfully, there were some universal signs that everyone knew, like putting a finger up over one's mouth meant 'Be Quiet'.

When (Y/N) had stopped in the clothing shop that evening with Gabrielle to see about getting some Muggle clothing for her, she had stopped sobbing as she admired all the different clothing options for Muggle girls at age Eleven. He didn't care the price, he could obviously afford it, what mattered first and foremost was Gabrielle's comfort and safety.

While Gabrielle was looking at the clothes available, a saleswoman came up to (Y/N), "Hello, is there anything I can help you or your little sister with?"

Gabrielle turned to (Y/N), holding up her fourth shirt choice, "Est-ce que celui-ci a l'air bien?"

(Y/N) looked at the saleswoman, "She's a cousin," he said and looked back to her, nodding as he spoke, "Yeah, I can get you that." She handed him the shirt as she then browsed for pants, blue jeans specifically. He watched her as she seemed intrigued by them, which made sense given that she very likely had never seen them before.

She found several ones to try on and brought them to (Y/N). They went over to the changing room and Gabrielle took in the clothes with her. With each shirt and pair of blue jeans she tried on, she let (Y/N) see them and he nodded with each one. Truth be told, as long Gabrielle liked them then that was all that mattered, and the more she looked like a Muggle, the better.

(Y/N) walked with Gabrielle up to the counter and pulled out a £100 Note, which surprised the cashier, "Don't see many of these used. Let me ring these up for you and then get you your change."

(Y/N) heard the door open behind him. He saw in his peripheral vision that Gabrielle turned to look. In the reflection of a glass case on the wall behind the cashier lady, the two men who walked in were walking right in his and Gabrielle's direction. He subtly pulled his wand out and cast Obliviate on the cashier lady, and then put her to sleep with Somnus. He unfortunately couldn't give her a soft landing as the moment she began to fall, he turned around, using Protego to protect Gabrielle as they both fired Stunners. He quickly dispatched the two men, who were Brotherhood of Grim, killing them both and Transfiguring them into rugs. No evidence of them being there. He grabbed the bags with Gabrielle's chosen clothing, leaving the money on the counter.

"Okay, now that you look like a Muggle child, we are going to go somewhere safe," (Y/N) said, even though she didn't understand him. Looking down at Gabrielle, she looked up at him with an almost blank expression; she obviously missed Fleur and her parents, and was trying to show no emotion. He knelt down, "I know it can't be easy, being away from your family like this, not knowing how they are..." he looked down, "but I'll do whatever I have to," he looked back up at her face, "no matter what that is, to keep you safe. It's the least I can do for Fleur."

Gabrielle's eyes lit up some and a look of hopefulness dared to break free of her otherwise blank looking face, "(Y/N), sais-tu si Fleur va bien?"

He looked at her for a moment, seeing if maybe by some miracle he could work out what she said, but in the end he responded with, "I don't know..." he stood back up, holding his hand out to her, "You ready?"