Chapter 23

Author's Note: Double update! Make sure to read Ch. 22 before this one.

The past two days had been chaotic, to say the least. Between unpacking the house partially and getting everything ready for deployment, there wasn't much time for anything else. Well, there might have been but my dad insisted on a family dinner of sorts before our deployment. I couldn't remember the last time we had a family dinner. Dad said it didn't count if it was just the two of us, even though technically we were the blood-related ones. So it had been 10+ plus years since Bradley, Dad and myself had done one of our family dinners. Tonight was going to be different though.

He and Penny were still seeing each other, and it seemed like they were going to last this time. Penny and her daughter, Amelia, were hosting since Dad technically still lived in a hangar in the Mojave. It was going to be the six of us, probably the biggest family dinner we'd ever done.

In a surprising turn of events, I was ready first and waiting for Jake. It was a casual family dinner, but I swear he'd changed at least twice already. I'd opted for a simple long-sleeve dress and sneakers. Jake had gone from a polo, to a button down and now there was a sweater; although he just walked back into the closet, so clearly he wasn't satisfied yet.
"Jake, you don't need to worry about what you're wearing. It's not like we're going to a fancy restaurant."
"I want to show that I'm worthy of you."
"And that'll come from what you're wearing?" I joked. Jake remained serious though. I got off my bed and walked towards Jake, stopping in front of him,
"Just be yourself." I started, placing my hands on his biceps, "Maybe leave some of the ego behind though."
"You like my ego though." He responded with a pout, pulling me closer to him.
"I tolerate your ego. I'll admit sometimes it is hot, but I think you know it'll be better if my dad and Bradley can see the real you." He seemed to be mulling over my words.
"I'm gonna change and then we can go." He kissed me slowly, pushing me gently against the closet door frame. When he pulled back, I grabbed a shirt from the closet,
"Wear this." I told him, kissing him again. He tried to deepen it, but I pulled away, knowing we would be late if anything more happened right now. There would be plenty of time for more of that in the future.

We weren't late when Penny welcomed us into her home, but clearly Dad and Bradley had arrived early, most likely to strategize their questions for tonight.
"Thank you so much for hosting. Our place is a little bit of a mess right now with the move and the deployment coming up. Next time we do this, it'll definitely be at our place."
"Have you started looking at houses yet?"
"No, not yet. I'd love to, but there's just no time for it before the deployment." Dad came in from outside, a beer in his hand.
"You don't need to rush the house buying process." He said, his gaze catching on Jake. I could feel Jake tense beside me.
"My place isn't exactly designed for two people's worth of belongings." I responded, walking towards Dad and giving him a quick hug.

When I pulled back, Jake had approached, sticking his hand out to shake Dad's hand. After shaking his hand, Dad looked at the both of us,
"We've got the table all set outside, plus a fire going so it's not too cold." Jake's arm slipped around my waist, pulling me close. I tried to keep my smile hidden, but I was glad that he felt comfortable enough to touch me with my dad present.
"Lila, could you help me finish up dinner?" Penny asked, her hands wrapped in a towel as she dried them. I glanced between Dad and Jake, trying to gauge their reactions. Jake didn't look too pleased with the potential of being alone with my dad, but there wasn't much I could do.
"Of course, yeah." I answered. Leaning forward, I placed a chaste kiss against Jake's lips, before heading to the kitchen.

"Does it make me a bad girlfriend if I don't feel entirely bad to not be present for Dad and Bradley's interrogation?" I asked, grabbing one of the tomatoes and starting to wash it in the sink.
"Well, Pete may have mentioned wanting to talk to Hangman alone. I'd guess this is only part one of the interrogation. So no, you're not a bad girlfriend." Penny told me.
"For Amelia's sake, and I mean this is the nicest way, but I hope you don't take my dad's approach to boyfriend approval."
"No." She chuckled, "We'll see how her father handles it, but I think I'll be more collected about it. One of us parents has to keep our head for it." She paused, placing a chopping board on the counter next to me. After drying the tomato, I began chopping it for the salad. Penny continued speaking,
"How is your mom doing?"
"She's good, been busy in D.C. We haven't talked in a few months."