Historical Hangovers

"Ominis," I groaned, my head resting against the desk. "Please remind me of this moment next time I try to drink fire whiskey."

Ominis's lips twitched into the ghost of a smile. "Don't tell me I now have two friends who need saving from themselves."

"Oh, whatever," I murmured groggily before turning to press my throbbing forehead into the cool surface of the wooden desk.

Ominis and I were sat in the back of Professor Binns's classroom waiting for History of Magic to start. It was our first class of the day. As hazy morning light permeated the dusty amphitheater-shaped classroom I was grateful that Professor Binns never seemed to mind much if his students drifted off during lecture.

I had been quite pleased when Ominis joined me today sporting a very distinctive golden chain clipped to his vest.

He seemed to be wearing it proudly.

I smiled, watching him fiddle with the chain and rustle the watch in his pocket as my eyes drifted shut.

Last night had been one for the books. Though my memory was hazy, images of the evening continued to resurface as the day wore on.

Dancing on a table with Garreth and Adelaide Oakes. A Bertie Bott's Every Flavored Bean eating game where we all went in a circle and hoped the one we ate didn't taste like earwax, laughing in glee when a player nearly vomited. A deep conversation about the secrets of Hogwarts castle with Samantha Dale and Amit Thakkar by the fireplace after one too many Fire Whiskeys.

Sirona kicking the lot of us out after Garreth tried to cast the Bat Bogey Charm on the portrait of Ferdinand Octavius.

Stumbling back to the Gryffindor common room under Garreth's arm. He'd called me 'single' to the Fat Lady.

Wasn't I always single?

Perhaps I was right and he'd just been blabbering a convenient lie. The Fat Lady was known to hoard gossip like a Niffler does gold, even if that gossip wasn't based in actuality.

"If it is not too painful for you to recount," Ominis's voice stirred my sleepy mind, sounding strangely hesitant. "Might I ask about your evening?"

I frowned, lifting my head from the desk. Looking over at Ominis I could see he was rolling his wand between his fingers nervously.

"Of course." I stretched, rolling my neck as I straightened up. "It was nice. Spent most of the time just catching up, swapping stories. We played a couple of drinking games, and there was dancing and music near the end. Nothing too exciting unless you count a ridiculous hangover."

"Sounds rather enjoyable," Ominis's voice was a bit strained. Confused, I furrowed my brows. Was there something I'd done to upset him? Had I sent him a nasty letter by owl in my drunken haze last night?

"And... what of you and the Weasley boy?" Ominis asked.

What?

It was at that moment Binns floated through the chalkboard and announced the beginning of class. It gave me a moment's reprieve as I ingested the question Ominis had just asked. Was he asking if Garreth and I... what?

Liked each other?

The thought felt laughable to me. Though Garreth was very handsome, popular, and charming, something about him struck me as different. The whole night he was constantly surrounded by a gaggle of pretty women but never once returned their affections. Even last year, he'd caught the eye of more than a few of my classmates. But Garreth never seemed interested in the attention of girls. He seemed more inclined to pull pranks and entertain a crowd.