Chapter Thirty Seven

Kat shot her guns at the creatures around her, killing each with a single bullet. She was doing great helping anyone who needed an assist in their battles. That was until she got sidetracked and saw him.

Kat stared holes into Thanos' back, and it wasn't long until he noticed her watching. He pressed his lips in a fine line and waved to a few people around him. "I won't make the same mistake again."

The creatures started to attack her, and she couldn't keep up. It was too much all at once, and Kat couldn't hold her own ground. "I got you, kid."

She looked up, spotting another Iron Man suit. She recognized it as the one Tony was building for Pepper, flying straight at her and picking her up from the ground.

When she was set down again in a quieter place with less fighting, she took Pepper in her arms and hugged her tight. "My god, I do love you."

Under her mask Pepper smiled, resting her hand on Kat's shoulder. "Don't get yourself killed."

With that Pepper flew off, leaving Kat on her own. She watched the other Avengers fighting, and she realized they were losing.

All of a sudden, all of the fighting stopped. Kat watched as all of Thanos' ships shot up into the air. What were they shooting at?

More like who were they shooting at. Kat could see Carol flying around the battlefield, destroying Thanos' ships and turning them inside out. This may have been exactly what they needed to win.

"Danvers, we need an assist here."

Steve nodded over at Peter, who was crouched in a hole, trying his best to hide the gauntlet with his body. "Hi, I'm Peter Parker."

"Hey, Peter Parker. You got something for me?"

Peter stood up shakily, wiping the blood from under his nose. "I don't know how you're gonna get it through all of that."

Reluctantly, Peter handed the gauntlet over as soon as Wanda stepped down. "Don't worry. She's got help."

More people came onto the battlefield, filling the space beside Carol and Wanda. Pepper, Mantis, Shuri, and so many more filed in, ready for battle.

Kat turned to look at Steve and pressed her lips in a thin line. "This has got to be a joke."

All of a sudden a blast hit Pepper, knocking the gauntlet to the ground. Tony tried to scurry for it, but Thanos pushed him off to the side.

Thanos took it in his hands, but Carol was quick to fight him. In the end, it did no good and he managed to overpower her. He put the gauntlet on his hand, screaming as all six stones fueled themselves into his veins.

Kat knelt next to Tony, helping him to his feet. "You okay?"

She tried to get his attention, but Tony kept staring at Doctor Strange. Slowly, he held up one finger, and Tony forced himself to look away.

There was only one way they would finish this battle.

Tony stood up, using all of his remaining strength to pull the glove off of Thanos' hands. Thanos pushed him into Kat, sending them both tumbling down into a pile of rocks.

"Tony, we have to-"

"I am inevitable." Kat's heart froze as she heard the metal snap of the glove. She waited for the worst to happen, for everyone to be gone, but it never came.

Thanos looked confused, turning his glove over. And that's when he noticed the stones were all missing, not one to spare.

Kat turned around, looking everywhere for them. Who had gotten to them? Who had managed to wrangle their hands on the stones while no one was watching?