Chapter Eight

Peter swung from building to building excitedly. Sure, it was a difficult thing to fight war with a bunch of full-time heroes, but he loved the experience he was getting out of it.

Chasing after Falcon and The Winter Soldier, Kat spotted Spider-Man in all his glory. She could see from a mile away that he was going to try to stop them, but that he wouldn't have the heart to actually hurt.

"What the hell was that?" Bucky caught note of the spider-like figure on top of the roof.

"Everyone's got a gimmick now." Falcon sighed, running after the enhanced soldier, Kat right on his tail.

Spider-Man was quick to swing through the glass of the building, kicking Falcon in the chest. He ground, falling back. Bucky went to punch him in the face, but the spider was too fast and caught his punch.

"You have a metal arm? That is awesome, dude." As he continued to hold his fist, Falcon swung through the air, grabbing a hold of Peter.

"You have the right to remain silent!" Peter was able to swing out of his hold at the last second, fast to get away as Kat tried desperately to shoot her widow bites at him.

"Hey, I think you lost this!" He threw back the widow bites, one hitting Kat in the ankle, spreading a wave of electricity through her body.

Falcon tried to tackle him to the ground, but he got shot in the arm with a web, holding him down to the floor. "Those wings carbon fiber?"

"Is this stuff coming out of you?" Kat stood up from the ground, trying to stretch her muscles back out from their tense state.

Ignoring Sam's question, Spider-Man continued. "That would explain the rigidity-flexibility ratio, which gotta say that's awesome, man."

"I don't know if you've been in a fight before, but there's usually not this much talking."

"Alright, sorry, my bad." Spider-Man took off into the air, swinging on his webs to kick Bucky. Once he made contact, the soldier fell backward through the glass, landing next to Sam.

"Guys, look, I'd love to keep this up, but I've only got one job here today, and I gotta impress Mr. Stark, so, I'm really sorry." He held his hand out in terms to swing away, but Kat got there quicker. She unhooked her baton from her back, throwing it straight at his head, though he quickly dodged.

"Hey, what was that for!" Spider-Man shot his webs out at Kat, who backflipped out of the way, going for a kick in his ribs. The kick landed and Peter winced. "That was uncalled for!"

"Yeah, well, back down and maybe we can end this," Kat mumbled through her mask, continuing to dodge the upcoming webs. She tried for a punch at his chin, but he caught her wrist with extreme force.

"Come on, Mr. Stark said not to hurt you. Mr. Stark said to go easy on you, that you were just a kid." Peter twisted Kat's arms behind her back, causing her to wince at the tight hold.

Kat panted, biting her cheek so hard that it was drawing blood. "Yeah, well, Stark didn't give me any rules on what I could or could not do to his so-called 'team.'" She threw her feet into the air, flipping Peter down to the floor onto his stomach.

As Peter tried hastily to fight back, Kat found it hard to defend herself without putting her hands on him. She hadn't wanted to hurt the spider-boy, as he was probably her age and no one should deserve that, but what was she supposed to do? She wouldn't win this war for Steve and Bucky without a casualty.

Grabbing her hand onto the first part of his body she could find, Kat pulled. Spider-Man's mask came straight off, leaving the teenage assassin to shock.

Kat stepped back, her arms held defensively in front of her as spider-boy shuffled to put his mask on. "Peter?"

Once his mask was secured back into place, Peter looked at the girl in front of him, watching her with eyes like the devil. "I know that voice; your voice. Who are you?"

Sam looked at Bucky, amusement filling his eyes. "This is entertaining. I wish we had some popcorn."

Bucky struggled against the webs holding them in place. "Shut up."

Kat moved away from him as he cornered her. He tried to grab a hold of her, but he quickly noticed she didn't have the nerve to fight back. Why?

Backing her into a wall, Peter looked into her eyes. A crystal blue. He knew those eyes better than his own reflection. Slowly, he reached his hand forward, touching the side of her mask.

She flinched away, holding his hand in place. Yet, as soon as she looked into the spider-like eyes of his suit, she softened. This boy, the one she had been friends with for years, was about to get his heart broken, but she didn't have the heart to stop him.

Pulling her mask down, Peter felt his chest tighten. Those freckles, the heart-shaped lips that made up her face... Kat.

"Tell me you were framed... that you weren't there when the bombs went off." Peter backed up. Kat tried to follow him, but he held his hand out in front of him. "God damn it, Ekaterina! Tell me you babysit kids, not kill them."

Kat looked down. She wanted to say that she was a babysitter, that she was a normal high school student who hadn't done anything wrong... but she would have been lying. She couldn't lie to him, even if it risked her life.

"Get out of here, Peter. It's not safe." Kat helplessly looked down at Sam, who was still entangled in webs, signaling for him to call in red wing. It was her only chance.

"You think it's not safe for me? I have enhanced strength and healing, and you're just... a killer. A killer, that's what you are." Peter swallowed. He wanted to take back those harsh words, but he didn't get there quick enough.

Red Wing swooped in as Peter held out his hands, trying to restrain Kat to the walls with his webs. Instead, he was picked up by the machine, getting carried away into the open sky.

Biting her lip and nodding to herself, Kat looked at Sam from the floor above. "You really couldn't have done that sooner?"