Chapter Twenty Eight

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Caroline statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Caroline statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty," The judge said.

"Your honor he's 17!" JJ shouted. "He's 17! Are you kidding me?"

"JJ," I said putting my hand on his cheat to make sure he didn't do something he'd regret.

"Hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out!" JJ shouted pointing to John B who was now getting taken away.

"John B!" Sarah cried trying to go after him but a cop got in the way and tried to push her away.

"Don't fucking touch her!" I shouted putting myself between Sarah and the cop.

"Let's get out of here," Kie said. "Is this a joke? Like, are we in hell or..?" Kie said.

"I should have never come home," Sarah said.

"They're gonna kill him, guys. I know it," JJ mumbled.

"We're gonna get him out of there," I tried to reassure him.

"I'm so sorry for what you and your family have gone through. Thank God the system works," a man said to Ward.

"Can you please shut up? Of course, you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you," Kie said pointing to Ward in disgust.

"He'll have his day in court. A jury will decide," the random man said.

"He shouldn't even be in court!" I shouted.

"You should, 'cause you're a murderer. You have a lot of nerve showing up to court," Kie shouted.

"I know you're upset. I understand you're upset, okay?" Ward said.

"Upset?" I laughed.

"I know he's got you fooled. He's got you all fooled," Ward continued.

"No, I'm not just upset!" Kie shouted going for Ward but was pulled away by Shoupe and Thomas.

"Show some respect!" Ward shouted.

"You're a fucking hypocrite!" I shouted to Ward. "Are you joking? You both know it wasn't John B!" I shouted pointing to Ward and Rose. "Rose, are you sure Rafe was home?" I asked her but I was pulled away by Plumb.

"Nuzzle your goddamned dog!" JJ shouted to Shoupe. "Why don't you take the kooks down for a change?"

"You wanna get arrested? Get out! You need to go," Shoupe told us all.

"This is bullshit," Kie mumbled.

"Come on. Look, it's not worth it," Sarah said pulling Kie away while JJ grabbed my hand pulling me away.

"It's not a coincidence that your daughter's sitting with us!" Kie shouted and that's when I noticed my parents were also there walking next to Ward and Rose.
I looked over at them and my mom looked at me in disgust but I couldn't see Dayton or Enzo with them.

"Of course, she's fucking defending Ward," I mumbled knowing my mom will take Ward's side.

•_____________•

"I'm gonna testify under oath. I was there," Sarah told us once we were back at the chateau. "I just need to get a hold of my sister,"

"Sister?" JJ mumbled.

"Kie, do you have your phone? Wheezie is the only other person that knows Rafe wasn't home that day," Sarah said when Kie gave Sarah her phone.

"Wheezie?" JJ asked.

"I don't know what else to do. I got us into this mess. I'm gonna do my best to get out," Satah said going inside.

"Wheezie?" JJ scoffed. "Yeah, that will work," he said sarcastically. "Well, she's right about one thing. We gotta do something. Our boy is a PO-dub right now, okay? He's held captive by the enemy right now, maybe even scheduled for execution," JJ said making me cringe at the fact that John B might be put to the death penalty. "Are we just gonna sit here?" he shouted

"What's the plan? We start by kidnapping shoupe?" kie asked sarcastically.

"Maybe, like, that's not the worst idea actually," JJ said.

"It's not? Seriously," I said to him.

"No!" he replied

"That is actually the worst idea I've ever heard," Pope told him.

"It's pretty bad," Sarah said from inside.

"You know what? Please, just stay out of this. Okay, Pope, look we've been doing everything your way and how has that been working out?" JJ asked.

"Okay, okay, so what's your plan? You gonna storm a jail, guns a-blazing?" Pope said.

"Look, Pope, all I'm trying to get you to understand is that got our boy. Now, are we just gonna sit here and do nothing? No! We're gonna go get his ass. We're gonna do something about it!" JJ shouted in Pope's face.

"JJ, we're not storming a jail. It's not happening," Pope told him.

"Let's just think of something else," I tried to reason with them.

"No, fine, man. Sot in your comfy chair. Do nothing. I'm gonna see what I can do, make something happen, even if I have to do it by myself," JJ said storming out.

"Okay," Kie said not looking at him.

"Jesus Christ," I scoffed walking after him. "JJ, wait up I'm coming with," I said getting on the back of his motorcycle. "Can you drop me off at home? I'm gonna try to convince my mom to do something,"

"Yeah, will do," he said starting the engine.

                  •______________•

"Seriously?" my mom shouted.

"He didn't do anything! All I'm asking is that you hear him out!" I shouted back to her.

JJ had dropped me off and I was now in the long with my parents and my brothers trying to convince my mom to be John B's lawyer.

"I know you think he's innocent," she started.

"He is!" I shouted cutting her off.

"Listen to me! Ward is a powerful man. Even if I was John B's lawyer he doesn't stand a chance," she told me and stormed off upstairs.

"Are you even gonna say anything?" I asked my dad getting frustrated at how he just sat by and doesn't even do anything to help.

"Sweetie, I don't know what you want me to do," he said softly and followed my mom.

"This is bullshit!" I screamed throwing a glass at the wall making it smash.

"I know, I know," Dayton said nudging enzo and nodding his head towards the stairs making him go to his room. "I'm on your side here. Mom and dad are somehow involved with Ward,"

"Then what do we do?" I asked him.

Before Dayton could answer me my mom came down the stairs and walked out of the house, slamming the door.

"Dramatic," I mumbled rolling my eyes.