Chapter Twenty Seven

We watched Rafe walk around looking for us while Barry went into the chateau

We watched Rafe walk around looking for us while Barry went into the chateau. JJ must have noticed my nerves because he put his hand on my thigh and leaned his head on my shoulder.

The sound of glass smashing startled me and I looked down to see Barry walking out of the chateau towards Rafe.

"Anything?" Rafe shouted to Barry

"No, ain't shit in there, bro" Barry huffed.

"No? Nothing?" Rafe asked rubbing his hand on his forehead.

"No, nothing, Rafe" Barry sighed

"They were obviously just here based on the smoke, man" Rafe shouted.

"Great observation, boy scout. How does it feel knowing your ex and your sister are both with Pogues? Man, you must have been bad in bed if she went from you to a Pogue," Barry laughed at the blonde boy.

"Shut up, dude!" he shouted back. "They're not far, you know? They gotta be around here somewhere," Rafe mumbled walking over to the tree where John B's name was engraved.

"P4L. So your sister and your girl are a Pogue for life, huh, Rafe? Now, who would've thought?" Barry chuckled but Rafe just screamed causing me and Sarah to flinch but trying to keep quiet.

"Chill, dude!" Barry shouted when Rafe started shooting his gun in random directions which happened to be in the tree where we were hiding. "You're gonna get our asses busted, dawg! Let's bounce. Let's bounce. Let's go!"

The pair went back to their car and when they were out of sight we climbed down.

"Everyone okay?" John B asked checking if Rafe shot us.

"Still alive," I said giving him a thumbs up.

                     •_____________•

The next morning when Pope and Kie finally came back with the boat we quickly got onto it explaining what had happened the previous night and went somewhere else to hide out.

"Look, if Rafe and Barry know, then it's only a matter of time," Kie said putting her head in her hands.

"Before everyone knows," Pope finished.

"We should've gone south, man. Why does no one ever understand?" JJ shouted.

"Yeah, I get it, okay? I understand," John B tried to reason with him.

"I have an idea," Sarah said. "With me back, my dad's going to have to choose between me and Rafe. He's gonna choose me,"

"Sarah, please listen. Ward keeps lying to you, Sarah" John B said making Sarah look down.

"Sarah, he's not gonna agree after everything that's happened," Kie told her.

"No. I... I know it sounds crazy. I know! But he's my dad. And I know him, and I know he loves me. And if Lauren came with me, Rafe has a soft spot for her he'll only listen to her!" Sarah told everyone and I felt JJ tense from beside me. "I'm just asking for two hours," she finished looking at me as if she was asking me to go with her and of course, I nodded.

"No way, dude!" JJ shouted, standing up. "Lauren is not going near Rafe. We know what he's like," JJ said but no one answered and I just looked down.

When Sarah stood up I followed her because I wanted to help in any way I could.

"Sarah," John B said walking after us, I walked a bit ahead letting them talk alone.

I looked up past John B and Sarah towards JJ and he just nodded at me and then looked away. Guess he's not too happy with this then.

Me and Sarah got on the HMS Pogue and went to the dock near her house.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" I asked her.

"Yeah, I need to. Please can you stay on the boat," she said.

"Of course," I said trying the boat up so she could get off.

I watched her dad greet her from afar and I made sure to keep a close eye in case she needed my help.

From what I could see I don't think it was going so well, Ward kept shaking his head and now and again Sarah raised her voice.

After about 15 minutes Sarah started walking back to the boat.

"You okay?" I asked her as she got onto the boat.

"Didn't go to plan," she said wiping her tears away.

"I'm so sorry," I said hugging her before she untied the boat so we could go.

                 •______________•

When we were in sight of the Pogues they jogged over to us.

"What happened?" John B asked.
Sarah walked off with John B telling him what had happened and Pope helped me tie the boat.

"How did it go?" Pope asked me.

"She said it didn't go to plan," I told him making him sigh.

"Well, then that settles it, guys. Now, y'all need to load up in the paddy wagon. And get the heck out of dodge right now," JJ said as the four of us walked over to John B and Sarah.

"Right, you'll need supplies, and you'll have to split as soon as possible," Pope told the pair.

"Guys, I think it's too late," Kie said and we looked to where she was looking and saw several cop boats coming towards us.

"They followed you here?" John B asked me and Sarah. "Must've been your father,"

"We have to find another way out of here," Pope said

"Stay on the beach with your hands in the air!" one of the cops from the boat shouted

"Go. Run! Come on. Come on," Pope shouted to us and we all took off running trying to get away from the cops.

"We've got to outrun them!" JJ shouted taking my hand to run with him.

"Go! Go!" John B shouted.

"JJ, grab her hand," John B told JJ as we reached a river.

Once we swam to the other end we rushed to get out since the cops weren't far behind us.

"Go behind the tree!" John B shouted to us.

"We're trapped. They surrounded us," JJ said looking at the cop cars driving towards us.

"What do we do?" I asked.

"No getting out of it. We gotta make a stand," JJ said getting his gun out but John B was quick to get the gun out of JJ's hand and drop it on the ground.

"It's gonna be alright," John B whispered.

I kicked dirt over the gun so the cops wouldn't see it and JJ grabbed my hand squeezing it as John B stepped out so the cops could see him.

"John B! Step out into the clearing!" Shoupe shouted and John B did as he was told.

"Don't move!" several cops shouted.

"The rest of y'all stay right where you are. Keep your hands where I can see them," Shoupe said to the rest of us.

"Listen, Shoupe, I wanna testify!" John B shouted to him.

"It's about time. Get down. Do not move a muscle. Everybody else, don't move!" Shoupe shouted.

When John B was on his knees Thomas came up behind him put him in a headlock and threw him on the ground.

"Are you serious!" JJ shouted.

Thomas continued to kick John B while he was on the ground and the other cops stood by and let it happen.

"Sheriff, what is that? You're just gonna let that happen?" JJ shouted to Shoupe who stood there and did nothing.

"This is for Perterkin," Thomas said to John B before knocking him out cold.

"What the fuck?" I shouted