Chapter 13

Day Three - Part One

The morning after...

Jack woke up to an amazingly soft pressure against his head, cocooned in the smell of chocolate. Everything was warm, and he hummed in relaxation, pushing up into the strange, gentle vibrations above him.

He was sure he'd fallen asleep next to Bunny in North's guest room...

Peering an eye open, he glanced around in the darkness.

Well, he definitely wasn't sleeping next to Bunny anymore.

He was sleeping on top of him.

"Come on," he grumbled. It was bad enough that he'd been cuddling into Bunny the night before, he couldn't have him waking up to discover Jack using him as a pillow.

A really, really, really nice pillow, but that was beside the point.

Still half-asleep, Jack attempted to wriggle away, until he was pulled softly but firmly back to Bunny's chest, smooth arms wrapping around him, and the overgrown rabbit growled low, slowly rubbing his jaw over Jack's hair.

"Um, Roo?" he chuckled in a whisper. Bunny must have been sound asleep, because the vibrations grew louder and the deep rumble in Bunny's jaw and chest became stronger.

It almost sounded like...

"Are you... purring?!" he muttered with a grin, trying to look up. Annoyingly, it was too dark to see anything and Bunny wasn't giving him any wiggle room.

"So I'm not using you as a pillow, you're using me as a cuddly toy," said Jack, nuzzling drowsily into his fur. "Cute. Too cute."

He supposed he could push harder, or shout at him or prod him, he just... didn't want to.

It was so late, and he felt comfortable and relaxed and safe and he didn't care about the spooky shadows bouncing off the walls or the fact they couldn't leave or the howling winds outside the snow-battered window...

Nope, none of that mattered.

Not when Bunny's warm nose hit the top of his head and he gave a little sniff, a tiny growl, and then the purring started once more.

Jack had to bite his lip to stop himself from breaking into laughter, his entire body shaking with the effort of keeping quiet.

The big bundle of fur cuddling him close was so unlike the competitive kangaroo he was used to, and since it didn't look like he was going to be released any time soon...

"Okay, then. You can have me," Jack exhaled happily, snuggling deeper into the thick, long fur at the top of Bunny's chest, pressing his head into the space under his jaw. "All yours."

It must have been the right thing to say or do because Bunny seemed to curl over him, and the purring became a nice, low rumble.

Jack sighed heavily into it, closing his eyes, and he drifted back to sleep.

*

Bunny groaned, blinking, taking in the kaleidoscope of bright sunlight streaming in through the frosted window. The clouds were starting to thin, the loud and unforgiving wind throwing the snow that remained into the glass in wild flurries.

He wriggled further into the pillows. It might have been late in the day, but his head was still heavy with the aftereffects of wine.

Another hour's rest and he'd be right as rain.

His arms tightened protectively around the bundle he was holding, nosing it affectionately, until he heard a quiet exhale and he almost jumped out of his fur.