Chapter 4

Jack has a chat with Sandy, the wisest of the Guardians!

Jack landed on the rooftop and stretched with a grin, observing Berlin's winding streets sparkling below and the strands of dreamsand glittering magically above.

The snow fell steadily, thick enough on the ground for the kids to have an awesome weekend.

Travelling through Europe lazily on the wind, spreading enough snow that the kids would be building a thousand snowmen...

The entire week had been amazing. This entire season had been amazing.

He felt relaxed, invigorated, and since he didn't have much else to do, he slid down the roof tiles and dove under the dangling telephone cables. He quickly pulled upwards, following the bright trails of sand, stark against the night sky.

Finally, he reached the massive ship floating close by, wide and twinkling.

He balanced on the starboard side.

"Hey, Sandy!" he called, before feeling a wobble beneath him. "Whoa!"

The ship suddenly altered its shape, and Jack's stomach lurched as he was dropped onto a couch in a large, golden room.

Its ever-changing form was his least favourite thing about Sandy's home. Without a doubt.

And there was the Sandman himself, yawning widely from his own sparkling couch, giving him a lazy wave.

"Can't you just pick a shape and stick with it?" he grumbled, wriggling back in the seat.

Sandy laughed silently, several symbols flashing above his head that Jack could now easily interpret. "You chose to come here! Are you having fun this winter?"

With a wave of his hands, he created a hole in the roof and floated upwards.

The couch beneath Jack shot up until he found himself on his hands and knees on the top deck under the starlight and snow.

Least. Favourite. Thing.

He snatched up his staff and floated off the surface, making sure he wasn't touching any part of the spooky ship.

"It's a mild one," he said when he was at a safe distance. "Not many snowfalls in some places, but it's cold enough that nobody would be too suspicious if I added to it."

"I'm beginning to think Bunny is right, you are a terror!"

"All part of the job, even if Bunny doesn't appreciate it," Jack laughed. "Plus, my believer base is building with every flurry. I feel different now than I did before Easter. Do you think that's why?"

"Different?" questioned Sandy.

"Um, happier, I suppose. More relaxed but also more energised. Does that make sense?" He ran his fingers through his hair. "I, uh... kinda passed out creating snow at Tooth's palace, when we were fixing it up. Now I feel like I could ice the place twice over and still have the strength to take on Tooth's wrath. And it's always been easy to bring fun to kids, but lately it's been almost effortless."

"New friends?" he signed, showing his familiar symbols for the Guardians and Jack's small crew of original believers.

Jack nodded. "I thought about that too. To be honest, when North mentioned the meetups, I was sure it was going to be all work and no play, but I actually look forward to them. Not so much when we need to keep a dangerous spirit away from the humans. I haven't had this many scrapes and bruises since learning to fly. At least the Wendigo have been quiet, I suppose. Who knows when they'll show up again."