Streetlight

20/12/2017,

Vancouver, BC, Canada

1:27 AM -

Lucas's figure slid out of the window and landed on the lawn rocks below. He winced as the rocks clinked against themselves, and braced for a second, hoping the lights inside the house would remain off. Luckily, nothing seemed to happen, and his tension dropped as he made his way over to the front gate. Getting over it wasn't an easy task. If it were any other night out he'd have have tossed his bag over the peaks of the spikes, but instead of cigarets and cash there was a camera, seven memory cards, and a burner phone. The gate rattled at its hinges and he felt the blunt points slide against him as he forced his way over and jumped down to the waiting pavement. He looked back. No lights on. He'd made it past the first obstacle. As he quietly made his way through the suburban neighbourhood, he went over the plan a final time; '10 minutes to the bus stop, wait time of around 5 minutes, a 50 minute ride -give or take-, an additional 3 minute walk, and I'm there. Should be easy enough.' No one else was on the street. When he eventually reached Croswel st, the suburban houses had been replaced by run down, shitty apartments, and the crisp glow of the bus stop ad stuck out like a sore thumb. He sat himself down on the bench seat. The minutes slipped by and the silence remained unbroken. His head lolled up and down as he tried to remain awake, before the hiss of the bus lowering brought him fully back to attention. The ride was bumpy, before eventually flattening out as they reached the highway. Lucas looked up from his seat and glanced around. There was a couple in the back being drunk and obnoxious while giggling at something, and the guy who made the mistake of sitting in front of them looked like he was ready to kill them both. Then near the front sitting across from him was the goth girl. They made eye contact for about two seconds before she looked away and returned her eyes to the screen. The next hour or so was bleak and quiet, save for the few snorts and occasional "HAH" from the back. Finally the bus broke away from the road and stopped. It took him a moment to regain the feeling in his legs once he'd exited. After a small walk he reached his destination; the high upper class houses of the Capsan way area. He traced his finger along the rows of houses '11185, 11187, 11189..' then there it was.

'11191. Seaport Avenue.'
________________