"He still went on, but instead of continuing the search in alphabetical order or by area, he gave out orders to find you instead. Locating you became priority. He stayed out in the field even longer than usual, and drove us all nuts with worry. Then one night two months ago, just after returning from three weeks in the field, he was just gone. We thought he had found something and had left with his team in the middle of the night. But then we found out his team was still on base, which meant Eric had left alone. Our best tech guys, including Finn, tried to track him via any tech available, but he had gone completely dark. Just vanished into thin air."

My head was starting to spin. "But why would he do that? He never even used to go to the bathroom without telling anyone. How- Why-?"

"I told you." Ajax took my hand, gave it a squeeze. "He's changed a lot. Although it doesn't sound like it, he's more mature now, more responsible and takes initiative in everything. It's kind of admirable, but frightening too. All I can remember when I look at him is how he used to hide behind you all the time when we were little." The memory flashed through my mind in an instant, making me feel warm, then incredibly cold and empty.

Eric's grown up. My little brother's all grown up now, and I wasn't there during those three crucial years to see him grow and change from a boy into a man. Our mom wasn't there to see it, and our father didn't care, so at least I should've been there. But where was I instead? Six months ago would've put me back in Springfield, drinking coffee in that little café and studying for finals, with Jess, Lily and Tania not-so-subtely hinting that I should ask out Jonathan.

Eric, on the other hand, had been given the impossible mission to find 22 trained operatives who didn't want to be found. They might've been children when they left, but trust me, that training was engraved into your soul. I was out living while Eric had probably never even been inside a real high school before. It wasn't fair to him. I could feel myself digging a hole so deep I couldn't get back out.

"Hey." I stared back at Ajax, who was now holding my shoulders. I didn't know if I liked it or not. "If you're blaming yourself for Eric going missing, you had nothing to do with it," he said calmly. "You weren't there."

"Exactly." I jerked myself out of his grasp. "The point is that I should've been there. I'm his sister, his only blood family, and I left him. I was supposed to protect him, watch him grow and pick on him and nag him to pick up his dirty laundry until his ears fell off. I was supposed to be his older sister, his guardian and mother, overprotective and loving and suspicious of anyone who'd even come near my precious little brother. I was supposed to, but I wasn't!" I slammed my fists into the mattress. "Now he's missing, and I don't know what to do." I could feel my chin quivering and my body shaking while trying to suppress my tears, my nails digging into my palms.

"That's why I'm here." Ajax lifted my chin so he could look into my eyes. "And I've brought help. Becca and Finn are with me."

My eyes widened like saucers. "They're here? Where?"

Ajax opened his mouth just as someone knocked at the door. He immediately rose to answer it.

"Good morning, Miss Wilde," Dr. Thompson greeted, her perky bob bouncing in behind her. She was in her mid to late twenties and, according to hospital gossip, fresh out of med school. "I apologize for being late for your checkup this morning, and interrupting your visiting hours. I had a previous engagement that I couldn't miss." Her eyes landed on Ajax, and I could see her pupils dilate from here. "Hello, I don't believe I've seen you visit yet. Are you a friend of Miss Wilde's?"

"Oh yeah, we go way back. I'm Ajax." He held out a hand and smoothly shook the doctor's hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Doctor..." He glanced at her name tag. "Thompson. Got a first name to go with that?"