12: Death-row Prisoner

Start from the beginning

To this day, the vaccine remains incomplete. Regardless, Seth stole what he could. He considered the possibility that the REM inhibitors were just a crutch, that at some point his genetic condition had been accidentally modified through his father's tampering.

Whenever he forgot to take his medication, he suffered from horrific night terrors; his subconscious lashed out at him for years of neglect.

Just as the thought passed from his subconscious to his conscious awareness, the glass barrier in front of him unfrosted, revealing two men. He swallowed his rage, feeling like a lab rat in one of his father's experiments. "I'll be reporting all of this to the authorities," Seth hissed.

The men nodded to each other, the same apathetic matter-of-fact way his father reacted to any of his outbursts.

"I wouldn't lead with that, Sport," Sergeant Noland stated, his voice emanating from a speaker that was embedded in the frame of his cell. The sergeant placed a couple of chairs in front of the glass barrier and took a seat. The light in the cell block had improved by little. The artificial lights above and the dim light-strips along the base of the wall remained dark.

The sergeant was much younger compared to the man with him. The soldier had a square set jaw, and a hard, distant look in his dark eyes. His hair was peppered in greys around his ears. He was solid, giving the impression that he hadn't missed a workout since returning to civilization. A notable contrast to his partner Paul, who wore his uniform like a man who was just working a job; Sergeant Noland kept his uniform pristine and well maintained.

The second man wore a suit. His suit coat buttoned up to his neck, barely hiding the fleshy divide between his neck and neatly trimmed beard. His critical gaze remained focused on Seth, adding to his discomfort. He introduced himself, "I'm Headmaster Vincent LaRivière, formally Master Warrant Office LaRivière. That's right, I served," the headmaster added, and thought back through the years. "I'd say I came back to the real world the year you were born, assuming my math holds out."

"What's going to happen to me?" Seth asked, hoping he didn't sound too aggressive, he was sure that he failed to hide his fear.

The sergeant and headmaster shared a look. "There's nothing to be alarmed about," the headmaster said.

Seth arched a brow, surprised by the casual way they were treating his unusual predicament. The headmaster nodded and gestured in such a way to acknowledge Seth's situation. Whatever the headmaster was thinking could not be said out loud.

"I think it's best to lay your situation out on the line as best I understand it. I've got conflicting reports, and I wanted to get your side before making a decision," Headmaster LaRivière said.

"We have security in the main office," the headmaster pointed to the exit. "We have recorded your presence here. We have reported the incident to your father." He watched Seth for a moment to gauge his reaction.

Seth was sure his father didn't care about his performance or his behaviour at school, but it would give the old man leverage for something. "And my sponsors?" All he cared about was that he could return to school next year.

"Your sponsors are fine."

"But they sent something."

The headmaster nodded. "They requested context, which is not something we're able to provide. However, based on what they had received, they had questions regarding the game."

"The game?" Yes, of course, that was the reason he had submitted for evaluation. Yes, he was going through a lot, but all of that drama was bound to pass. It was the games that terrified him.