Chapter 16- A Kiss is Just a Kiss... Right?

Annabeth Chase

A Kiss is Just a Kiss... Right?

"He keeps smiling at you, I swear!" Thalia told me. She didn't really need to go to the bathroom- she just wanted to tell me this. What was Thalia up to these days?

"Why would he be looking at me?" I asked, rubbing my arm. It was freezing in here, but I could feel my face getting hot. "Also looking at someone doesn't even mean anything. I mean I'm looking at you right now aren't I? Just because someone constantly looks at you doesn't mean they like you. That's just illogical, Thals."

"Yeah, but don't you like him?"

"I-uh well, he is cute. I guess," I said. "Wait, why did I just say that? You're just going to use that against me for the rest of my life. Thalia Grace, was this your plan? To get us together? Me and Percy? Percy and I?"

Thalia looked sheepish, but kept her act together. The shipper of her best friend and her new sister. No one would do that but Thalia. "Then go for him! Sit by him. And when they say 'pirates' just kiss his cheek or something?"

I stared at her like she was crazy, which she was. Kissing a total stranger isn't my style. I don't think that it's anyone's style. "No."

"You should," she said, opening the door.

"No," I repeated.

"Wait, Annabeth!" Thalia said, pulling me back into the hall. 

I sighed. "What?"

"Let's make a bet. I'll bet you my phone for a month that you two won't kiss," Thalia whispered to me.

"Oh, really," I said. I really needed her phone. If I had it, I could text Travis whenever I wanted for a whole month. Okay, maybe this kiss wasn't that bad, but I only talked to Percy once. In my whole life. "Details, please."

"Okay, so you guys have to kiss. Simple. Oh, and you can't let him know about this bet." She thought for a bit. "That's pretty much it."

"Deal." I smiled, holding my hand out to her. After all, it was just a bet. A kiss didn't mean anything, right? Well, it did, but I just don't know anymore and I hated not knowing. Romanticism wasn't really my best subject. It wasn't logical and it something that you couldn't predict so I disliked it.

We both walked down the hall back into the living room where everyone else was talking and throwing popcorn around. I sat back down in my corner and covered myself with a fuzzy grey blanket. Why did I let Thalia talk me into wearing this vest? Thalia crawled under her Star Wars blanket and started munching on some chips. Leo was talking to Calypso and she was laughed when he told her some joke about corn and a guinea pig.

"Press play already," Thalia groaned from the couch. I could tell she was getting antsy. She kept fiddling with the blanket and clenching her fists. Thalia was impatient. But Percy still hadn't press play. He was waiting for something. What?  Did he want the roof to open up so aliens could take him away?  

"Not until Annabeth sits with me," Percy said. "I hate when people are lonely. It's a little sad, you know being alone. Especially on an awesome movie night like today."

"Wait. What?" I blurted. "No. I like being alone. It gives me time to contemplate about life."

Percy arched his eyebrow. "Life? Really? Why?"

"Why not?"

"I dunno. Why contemplate? Especially now? Why not just go with the flow? Life's supposed to be fun, not all planned."