Four: Strangers

Alexis went to work as usual, pretending that everything was normal and not like she had just made out with her super-hot American friend before he freaked out on her and left without a word.

It had only been a few hours ago, but Alexis couldn't fall back asleep after James left, and she was kicking herself for not having his phone number or any of his social media accounts to get a hold of him.

She really did have the worst luck with men.

Her hair was up in a high ponytail, her bangs covering her face as she leaned over, scrolling through her phone. She still hadn't opened those messages from before, and they would remain unopened until further notice.

Denis was the first to arrive, as he always did, taking his usual spot at the bar and noticing that a certain American was nowhere to be found.

"You look tired," was the first thing he said.

There was no hiding the dark circles that had formed under Alexis's dull eyes. Their usual brightness was missing to coincide with the emptiness she was feeling deep in her chest.

She missed him, and she was pissed off at him all at the same time.

More than that, she couldn't figure out what she had done wrong to have made him leave...

"Nothing gets past you, old man," she quipped, handing over a beer bottle.

"Did that boyfriend of yours keep you up all night?" Denis chuckled as he brought his drink up to his lips.

"I don't want to talk about it," Alexis rolled her eyes as she continued opening the bar. "And he's not my boyfriend."

He'd certainly made that clear this morning.

Alexis's heart dropped when she said the words, even though they weren't technically a lie. It's not like they had ever said they were anything other than friends. Any talks of a relationship, or a fling, were off the table. That seemed to make the pain hurt worse than the fact that she didn't know when, or if, she'd see him again.

James was proving himself to be a flight risk in her book, and she had already gone through that once before. She had no intention of going through that again.

"Whatever you say, kiddo," Denis chuckled. "But, boyfriend or not, I see the way you two look at each other. Something's obviously happened between you two 'cause I can see it on your face."

"I said I don't want to talk about it, Denis."

"I'm just saying..."

"Denis!"

"Fine," Denis yielded, dropping the subject.

Alexis went into the back to grab some supplies to stock up the fridges, grabbing a couple of cases of beer before coming back out front.

She returned after a few minutes, filling up the coolers quickly as the next few regulars came in, ordering their usual drinks before using the billiards tables. She grabbed the beers, delivered them to the billiards table, and went back behind the bar, pouring herself a whiskey and taking it before slamming down her shot glass.

It was going to be a long day.

Alexis sighed in frustration, wiping her mouth before pouring herself another shot.

"Bit early for you, isn't it?" Denis commented, raising a brow at the pretty brunette.

"Drink your beer and mind your own damn business," Alexis snapped, quickly biting her tongue.