One: Troublemaker

One of the best things about owning a dive bar is that you can get drunk after work, and no one can tell you otherwise.

At least, that's what Alexis Daniels will tell you.

That, and you never know who will walk into your bar looking for sanctuary from the outside world.

It was the hottest night of the Summer in Downtown Bucharest, and the busiest day Alexis had seen in months. It was late, and the younger crowds had already come and gone, hopping to the next bar or nightclub on the strip. The only ones left were the loyal regulars that kept Alexis's night from being boring- a small group playing on one of the billiards tables and the few grumpy veterans at the bar, including her favorite drunk, Denis.

"You should be out enjoying the night, Lexi," Denis said as he gulped down his brandy. Not many people get to call her by her nickname, but Denis had been around since she was a baby. "You're too young to waste your nights on the likes of us old men."

Alexis smiled at the old man, shaking her head as she refilled his drink.

"I like being here, Denis," Alexis said to him as she continued to put away clean dishes. "And besides, if I left now, who would pour you drinks?"

Denis huffed, taking a long sip from his glass.

Alexis grabbed a couple of shot glasses and the bottle of whiskey behind her before pouring the two of them a drink. The two of them clinked their glasses before taking their shots, slamming their empty glasses on the table.

"You're right about that," Denis smiled at the young woman, stroking the stubble on his face. "And you're much better company than poor Ivan over there."

Denis pointed at the man at the end of the bar, passed out holding a half-drunken beer bottle. Alexis started to giggle at the sleeping old man with Denis while she called for a cab to pick him up.

The giggles soon stopped as the front door opened, revealing a tall stranger with long, dark hair wearing a baseball cap and a backpack strapped tightly to his back. His gloved hands were balled up in fists as he gazed across the bar to find a secluded spot to sit. Alexis immediately identified him as an American tourist, most likely looking for a cheap drink or two.

He was undoubtedly in the right spot for that.

Alexis watched the man with intrigue as he chose the dark booth in the corner, far away from the rest of the small crowd.

"Have you ever seen that man before, Denis?" Alexis asked in a hushed tone, leaning onto the bar.

"No," Denis said, turning back around to face her. He tapped his glass, signaling to Alexis that he wanted one more drink before closing his tab. "But he looks like trouble."

"You don't even know him," Alexis scoffed, pouring him his final drink.

"Neither do you," Denis said, gulping down the last drink before slamming it down on the counter and hobbling out of his seat. "Don't go getting into trouble, Lexi."

"Trust me, trouble and I are done for the foreseeable future," Alexis said, staring at the strange man's nose deep into the notebook he was writing in.

Denis rolled his eyes as he looked between Alexis and the man in the booth before waving to her.

"Goodnight, Lexi."

"Night, Denis," Alexis said to the old man, sending him on his way.

Alexis cleaned up the mess Denis left behind in the ways of napkins and glassware, casually stealing glances over to the stranger who hadn't moved from his spot. His head was perched low as he mumbled something quietly to himself, scribbling something down before flipping the page. She watched as he did this for several minutes before taking a breath and sitting back in the booth, looking around the room before the two of their eyes locked onto each other.