Chapter 1: The Breath

Illika

Breathing.

Deep breathing. Heavy, hot breaths. The hairs on my arms stand as it caresses my ear and my body trembles. Euphoria.

He pulls away, peeling himself off me as he readjusts himself, zipping his pants. My skin rushes with coolness at the absence of his body. I sit up, still feeling my heartbeat against my ribs.

Tomura stands, fixing his clothes as I remain sitting on the ground, naked and smelling fresh of sex. Nothing but silence surrounds us. There is not even a peep. Not from this room. Not from the hallway outside. Not from anywhere. That is with the exception of our breaths steadying.

He finishes adjusting himself and looks at me. His eyes scan me, the fire still dancing in them, but his tone is dry.

"You should get dressed. The others might start looking for you."

Maybe I should. They just got back from their little mission, though I'd hardly call it little. The uproar they created with that stunt – being televised as they attacked – has probably stirred the pot more than we ever have before. The chaos and panic. I could taste it through that screen. It was delicious.

So yeah, everyone is probably riding that high. Toga, Twice, Spinner, Compress, and even Dabi. They're all giddy. And Toga and Twice are probably looking for me to tell me all about it, but I was whisked away as soon as they returned.

Tomura had said nothing when they returned. He had just seen me and tugged me along as soon as our eyes met. He practically dragged me down halls and then flung me into this random room before slamming his lips against mine. From there, he peeled my clothes off and fucked me until I was shaking. How he had the energy to do that after having just caused mayhem is beyond me, but I'm always down for it.

But despite the great sex and the celebration of the mission, I'm still confused as to why they hadn't brought me along. They hadn't even mentioned it to me. And all this time, I thought I was making headway with them.

I take a deep breath, climbing to my feet, and then stretch. "You were all on the news. You know that, right? You were all, all over TV."

He pauses, standing still before looking at me. "I know that."

I lift a brow. "What happened to laying low? I thought we weren't trying to draw attention to ourselves."

That was what he had said before. That he didn't want to attract too much attention in fear of global aid being sent to Japan. That was his excuse for our errands when I first joined. But what I saw today, broadcast on live television in daylight was a whole other story. It was almost an invitation for said aid to come.

A sly smirk twitches his lips. "That was the original plan."

"Oh? What changed it?" I start to collect my discarded clothes, feeling his eyes watch me as I do so.

"The balance has shifted," he finally says.

I look at him, knitting my brows. "What balance? The one with heroes and the public?"

He nods, moving closer to me. He brushes some of my hair to the side before gently pressing his lips to my neck. Then: "The trust that the public has for heroes is starting to thin. And beyond that, the prison breaks have left any honest heroes scrabbling."

He kisses the hollow of my neck gingerly as his gloved hands find my waist. He pulls me close, and I can't help but smile, but I'm still curious. There are answers that I still need to find.

I let him continue to kiss the soft flesh of my neck, but press on. "I can see that. I guess that would make it easier to make some moves, but why wasn't I invited? Hmm? I thought I was a member of the team."

He stops kissing my skin and pulls away, bringing his eyes to mine. As usual, I can't fully read him. Not as much as I would like, but I can make out just enough. That he wasn't expecting this conversation. Still, his hands never leave my waist. He takes a haggard breath.

"Your face isn't known to the public. Bringing you would have taken our element of surprise away from any future endeavors. We can't have that."

I snort. "But I have sunglasses now. Remember? They're basically my mask."

"Not enough for anything of that caliber, and you know that."

He's right. I know he's right. Logically, anyway. However, that still doesn't explain why no one told me their plans. Even if I couldn't go, I would have understood, but leaving me in the dark like that only bothers me.

"Alright. That's fair, but tell me this," I say, looking him directly in the eyes. "How come no one told me what was being planned? I was completely left in the dark. Something I don't appreciate too much."

He scans me, then answers, "I don't know. I figured Toga or Twice would have said something to you. You three are the closest."

"You mean, it wasn't kept from me intentionally?"

"It wasn't ordered if that's your question. I honestly couldn't care less whether they told anyone or not so long as it stayed within the PLF. I didn't give a damn."

Okay. So, it wasn't an order. He wasn't trying to keep it from me himself, and for all I know, it could have slipped Toga or Jin's minds. How something like that could just be forgotten is beyond me, but there can be any explanation. After all, with Jin's broken, scattered mind and Toga's whimsical behavior, it's not entirely unlikely they'd forget.

"I see," I say. "And here I thought you were all just leaving me out of all the fun for the hell of it."

"No. Our call was logical and strategic." A crooked smirk lifts the corners of his lips.

He comes close, once again planting his lips on my neck softly, peppering gentle kisses before bringing his lips to my ear. His hot breath caresses my skin, sending chills down my spine as he whispers smoothly.

"Now, get dressed before I have to fuck you again."

**Bello lovelies! Well, there wasn't a whole lot happenin' in the first chapter, but now (if you recall book one's ending) we know why Illika wasn't with the League while they were causing a ruckus on TV. Surprise! It was because they didn't want to reveal her to the public. Hey, they need to keep a few surprises secret for now. Well, we'll call this a chapter. Until the next! Stay awesome sauce! Y'all are the cat's pajamas! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross