Chapter Fifty-Seven

To say that Emerson did not sleep well was an understatement

To say that Emerson did not sleep well was an understatement. Each desperate attempt at falling asleep was interrupted by anxiety she felt. She was worried, scared, completely preoccupied by the thought of Remus getting hurt.

It was ridiculous though, right? Emerson didn't like Remus. She resented him for the lies and leaving her mother.

But now, she was thinking of every possible thing that could go wrong with Remus seeing Sirius Black.

It was two am before Emerson finally drifted off and the five hours she was able to sleep felt like five minutes. Immediately she flew out of bed, replacing her pajama pants with jeans and slipping on shoes before sprinting out of the dormitory, careful not to wake Alicia or Angelina.

The amount of times she ran through the corridors was probably enough times to get her expelled but it didn't stop her. Emerson ran has fast as she could towards the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, hoping desperately that Remus was in his office.

Emerson's heart was pounding. Was if he was hurt? What if he was dead? What if she never got to tell him that she knows the truth about who he is to her?

Emerson came to a halt in front of the classroom door and swallowed hard before shoving it open. Her heart sank when she saw Remus shuffling through papers while speaking with Dumbledore. His face, while already scarred, was covered in fresh bruises and scratches. When Remus saw Emerson, a grim smile appeared.

"Good morning, Emery."

She ran forward, lunging straight into his arms. Remus was taken back, stumbling backwards before wrapping his arms around her in return.

"I was so worried," Emerson muttered into Remus's coat. "I thought you were going to be murdered, I thought I was going to have to explain to Mum that you died and—"

"I'm safe, I'm alright," Remus gently pulled Emerson away. "Albus, will you give me a few moments to speak with Emerson?"

Remus beckoned Emerson to follow him into his office, where once inside her jaw dropped. Trunks were open, with coats haphazardly spilling out of them. Papers were piled on the floor, all the shelves along the walls were empty.

"You're leaving?"

Remus took a deep breath and nodded slowly.

"What happened last night? Why are you all bruised and scratched up? You look awful!"

Remus chuckled dryly and Emerson's statement. "I have a lot to explain to you, Emers—," Remus stopped before sitting down in his chair. "Emery."

Emerson sat down in another chair in the office and frowned. "What happened with Black?"

"Everything you've heard about Sirius Black is false," Remus said. "Now I'm only telling you this because..." He stopped again, as if he didn't know how to continue. Emerson, however, knew exactly what to say.