Chapter Fifty-Four

As the OWL exams were nearing, Emerson found herself quickly losing her sanity

As the OWL exams were nearing, Emerson found herself quickly losing her sanity. Assignments from teachers were becoming unbearable and there seemed to be more and more things they needed to know from the exams. Even though the exams were merely a month and a half away, everyone studied as though it was next week. The final Quidditch match was much sooner.

In addition to that, Emerson had started her monthly, and had cried six times in a period of two days. She was frustrated, anxious, and it all become worse when dear old Dad passed her and the twins in the Corridor after an evening of studying in the library.

"Miss Diors, may I speak to you for a moment?" Remus had his hands shoved into his pockets, and the purple moons under his eyes had deepened incredibly.

George took Emerson's books and gave her a gentle pat on the back before nudging her towards Remus, Emerson shot him a glare and took a few tentative steps towards Remus.

"Please, come to my classroom so we can have a word in private."

Emerson followed Remus along the corridor and up the stairs to his classroom. Remus perched himself on the edge of his desk as Emerson simple stood there, unsure what to do. She hadn't broken any rules recently, or talked back to her to Remus. In fact the only thing she did was study and, as of recently, cry.

"Um...," Emerson glanced around the room before meeting Remus's gaze. "Am I in trouble?"

"Why would you think that?"

A short laugh escaped Emerson before she realized it. "Because the only time you've talked to me is to scold me or take something away."

Remus nodded slowly, before turning and picking up something off his desk. It was a folded, yellowing piece of parchment.

It was the Maurader's Map.

Shit.

"Do you know anything about this?"

Emerson just stared. Was she supposed to be honest? Would it be better to lie? How the hell did Remus get it?

She took a short breathe. "No, I don't."

Remus nodded again. "I confiscated this from a student a few days ago, and as I was thinking of where he could have gotten it, I thought of the two students who like to put their hands in places where they shouldn't."

Emerson laughed, and shook her head. It was best to play it cool. "So why are you asking me? Am I one of those students?"

"No but one of them is your boyfriend."

Tilting her head, Emerson squinted and gestured to the map. "And what happens if I do know something about it? Do you know what it is?" She watched Remus's jaw tighten.

"Emerson -- Emery," there was extra emphasis on the long e of her name, as if it was almost foreign for Remus to say. A for effort, Remus. "In the wrong hands, this could be dangerous. I understand that there was no malintent giving this to Mr Potter, but if someone else was to find this, it could be bad."

Emerson just looked at Remus, not knowing what to say. He clearly knew her better than she thought if he figured out that she was one of the people who gave the map to Harry. He didn't look angry, or even disappointed in the slightest. The deep crease between his brows indicated he was more concerned.

The feelings that Emerson had about Remus, her father, were so complicated. She was angry that it was even a fact, angry at her mother for keeping it a secret and raising her to believe that Everett Diors was Emerson's father. Still, even with the new information, Everett would always be her father. She was also annoyed with the fact that Remus was trying to act like her father without even telling her that he was so. All she wanted was for him and Coralie to be honest with her.

But now there was a great look of concern on Remus's face, as though at this moment he didn't care about making a point of being in charge of her. He actually seemed worried.

Emerson took a deep breath. "Fred, George, and I never told anyone about the Map before we gave it to Harry. We didn't think about the consequences because we didn't think anyone knew about it. I'm sorry."

Remus nodded and smiled. "Thank you. You're not in trouble, I just wanted you to be aware of what could have happened."

"Okay."

There was a split second of silence, but it felt much longer as Emerson didn't know what else should be said.

"Okay, Emery, you can go now. I know you have a lot of studying to do."

Of course, now was the perfect time for her heart to ache and tears to prick in the corner  of her eyes. Internally, Emerson cursed her hormones. She nodded and quickly turned around, speed walking towards Gryffindor Tower.

Emerson was able to control her breathing enough to look normal as she made it back to the common room. George and Fred, as well as the other fifth years in the House were all sitting on the couches, continuing to study. Or rather, everyone was continuing to study except for Fred and George, who were feeding treats to Crookshanks and Bandit.

George looked up when Emerson approached, and moved over for her to sit down on the couch. "What did Lupin want?"

She leaned in close to whisper in his ear, careful to not let everyone else hear. "Harry got the Map taken away."

"He want? Are you joking?" George groaned. "Did he tell on us?"

Emerson shook her head. "I don't think he did, but Lupin knew right away that we gave it to him."

"Are we in trouble?"

"No actually, it was surprising," Emerson shrugged. "He just told us that it could have been dangerous if someone else got to it. I'm assuming he meant Sirius Black. And he did something shocking."

George furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"He called me Emery."

George's eyes widened in a comical way and he gasped. "No! Did he really? Is the world going to implode now?"

"Maybe," Emerson laughed. She leaned down to pet Crookshanks who was nuzzling against her legs. "I never thought he would actually do it."

George leaned down and also pet the giant orange cat. "Maybe he was hit by reality--"

"Oi! George! What the bloody hell are you doing with that monster?"

Emerson's head snapped up to see Ron standing at the bottom of the staircase pointing at where George was petting Crookshanks. His face was as red as his hair, and he truly looked enraged over the simple action.

Hello friends! I have finally got the last few chapters planned for this book before I will be publishing book two!!!! I'm still working on the title but I am super excited to begin writing it. If there is anything you would like to see more of, let me know in the comments!

im focusing on the miss mischief series rather than the others for now

im also looking for someone who might be able to make me a couple of cool covers, if there is anyone is is savy at that.

- Aly