Chapter Forty-Three

"Can you kiss me?"

"Can you kiss me?"

George's eyes widened at Emerson's words and his mouth parted slightly. It certainly was not what he expected her say, judging by the surprised expression on his face and the way his confidence dissipated.

Immediately, Emerson began regretting what she said. You couldn't have just said 'I like you'?

But slowly a small smile crossed George's face and he leaned in a little bit. He was blushing and smiling at her, which was the reaction Emerson was hoping to get.

"You want me to kiss you?" George asked. He was leaning in closer, a mischievous smirk on his face. Well, his smirks always looked mischievous.

"Uh, yes," Emerson said. "I do."

Her face had never been this close to his before. His could see all of the gold and green that swam around his brown irises. She could could the freckles on his nose. She could see how is nostrils flared slightly when he talked.

"Why?"

"W-why what?" Emerson stuttered.

"Why do you want me to kiss you?"

She couldn't tell if he was being serious or not. Obviously there was only one reason she would ask George to kiss her.

"Because I like you, you bloody git."

Slowly, George leaned in furthur. He reached up and cupped her face with his hand, gently rubbing his thumb along her jaw.

As he stayed there for a moment, all of the thoughts a teenage girl usually has when she is about to have her first kiss raced through Emerson's brain. What if my breath stinks? What if his breath stinks? Is my nose gonna get in the way? Oh Merlin, this boy is about to fucking kiss me.

But then George's lips touched hers.

And Emerson and George kissed.

He pressed his lips to hers for only a few seconds, but it was enough for Emerson to feel like she melted. George's lips were warm but his hands were cold she could feel his heart racing through his shirt even though their chests were inches apart.

Emerson wanted to kiss him again, so she did.

Her worry about his breath being bad disappeared as she smelled nothing but mint chapstick and the forest. She reached a hand around to his ginger hair and it was just as soft as she had hoped. Kissing George was the greatest thing in the world.

When they pulled away, George's cheeks were just as red as his Gryffindor Quidditch robes. He looked at her like he had never kissed a girl before, which was probably true.

"We just kissed," he mumbled.

"Yeah. Yeah, we did," she murmured.

"You smell like vanilla and flowers," George told her.

"You smell like mint and the forest," Emerson told him back.

"I want to kiss you again," he said softly. "But I think Fred's going to be coming back soon."

Emerson nodded and smiled. "I've liked you for quite a bit, George."

George laughed and shook his head. "Well I think I've liked you for a little bit more."

"How long?"

He sat there for a second to think about it before nodding. "Since summer after third year. It got a lot worse when Oliver started liking you. I think I was jealous and worried that you were going to be with him."

Emerson looked at George seriously. "There are big differences between you and Oliver Wood, George. You are the only person I've ever liked."

"Me too," George leaned in and gave Emerson one more kiss on the lips.

Emerson smiled. She could hear Fred's loud footsteps coming down the hallway. "Can we kiss again tomorrow?"

"On one condition," George told her.

"What?"

"I want you to be my girlfriend."

"I want to be your girlfriend."

"Then it's a deal," George stood up from the bed and pulled Emerson up with him. "You're my girlfriend and I will kiss you again tomorrow."

"You're going to have to tell Fred tonight," Emerson told him. "Like as soon as he gets here."

"I will."

As if right on cue, the dormitory door opened and Fred walked in. His hair was just as wet as before but he was no longer covered in mud.

"Alright, well I'm going to head to bed," Emerson took a step back from George and smiled at him. "I'll see you two tomorrow."

When she left and shut the door behind her, Emerson stood still for a moment listening to what was happening on the other side. She heard George's muffled voice. Then she heard Fred yell and laugh.

Emerson smiled as she walked over to the girls side of the tower. She was happy. There was no more anxiety about her feelings towards George. Now they were together.

Alicia and Angelina were sitting on their beds talking when Emerson walked in, red in the face.

"Oh there you are!" Alicia smiled. "We were just wondering where you were. Bandit was too."

Bandit jumped up onto Emerson's lap when she sat down on the bed. "I was with the twins," she said as she stroked her cats fur.

"Why are you so red?" Angelina frowned. "Did you run here or...?

Emerson blushed more and looked down sheepishly. "No um, I..."

"You what?" Alicia raised her eyebrows. "Is there something you're not telling us?"

Angelina gasped. "Did you get in trouble again?"

"No!" Emerson laughed and pushed Bandit gently off of her. She hadn't gotten around the telling Alicia or Angelina about her crush on George, especially because of how close they were with Oliver. She was worried it would cause problems.

But now, it had just been declared that George was her boyfriend and she was George's girlfriend. The girls could be informed.

It was another cliché moment of a girl telling her friends that she had kissed a boy for the first time.

"George and I kissed," Emerson quickly.

Angelina's jaw dropped and Alicia gasped.

"No way," Alicia jumped up from her bed and ran towards Emerson's, where she flopped down like a child and kicked her feet into the air. "Did you really?"

"Yes, we did," Emerson laid back on her bed and turned to look at Alicia. "I've fancied him for a while and tonight he was telling me that he liked me and I just asked him to kiss me. It was actually more like I word-vomited it."

Angelina came over and sat down too. "That's why he acted so strange when Oliver had a crush on you," she sad. "I always thought it was like a best friend thing but he liked you."

"Yeah," Emerson smiled. It must have been the hundredth time she had done so. "I just can't believe I kissed George Weasley."