Boys Will Be Boys

Start from the beginning

   She kept running though, her waist-length hair- scrunched up in its loopy, 's'-shaped pattern making it appear roughly six full inches shorter- billowed out behind her alongside the makeshift skirt of her simple brown linen, red embroidery trimmed tunic. She paused as she reached the gate, and I realized just how badly she needed a belt to give the crude dress some shape as it had no doubt been another hand-me-down from one of the male kitchen staff members as the hemline touched just below her knees while the cuffs fell at the tips of her nails.

   Even from this distance, I could see her ears twitch; the pale pink of the inside the same color as her flushed cheeks as she turned, her eyes catching mine easily, lips parted as she gave me a sorrowful look before she spun around and took off once more headed down the bridge. Sif cried out triumphantly that we had her until she slid to a stop, the great golden giant stepping out from behind the left gate to block our path before we could even call forth horses.

   "This game has come to an end." His voice was deep and full of authority, golden eyes stern with just a hint of playfulness as he looked down at the three of us.

   "It's just a bit of fun," Fandral mused, smiling boyishly.

   "If the girl cannot tell the difference between a game and an actual threat-"

   "You are armed, she is not." He nodded toward Sif's wooden sword and Fandral's stick before his eyes fell on the snakes slithering up to gather around my feet. I straightened my fingers as they disappeared in little puffs of green light, pursing my lips apologetically while I refused to meet his gaze. "It is an unfair advantage to chase someone in a game who cannot fight back, would you not say?"

   I felt my face fall slightly as my ears grew hot. I glanced toward Fandral who seemed to mirror my sheepish expression, though Sif seemed to only grow more agitated; huffing and turning on her heel to storm away. We muttered a soft non-apology, apology as we followed suit, Heimdall calling after me. Fandral gave me a remorseful glance before he doubled his speed to catch up to Sif, as if afraid the gatekeeper would hold him as well. Swallowing audibly, I turned to meet the giant; acting as if nothing had transpired.

   "Little Prince, I expect more from you. You and the Little Lady are more alike than you may believe. I would not tease her such."

   "I would not, if she was not such an easy target."

   Heimdall sighed, shaking his head. "Your abilities grow day by day. Hers remain hidden from her. Some day though, she may just surpass you in strength; were I you, I would not underestimate her nor set her up to be anything but a treasured ally. Perhaps something to think on, Little Prince."

   I frowned, though it probably looked more like a scowl as I stared at him. I had no idea what he was trying to tell me. Eibhlin had no powers, she was just an oddity; nothing more, nothing less. There was no reason for me to be afraid of her, let alone underestimate her. Honestly, there was no reason I could think of to consider her at all. Besides maybe the way she looked when she ran... 

   "I tire of your riddles, gatekeeper. May I go now?" Heimdall nodded.

   I stalked away, feeling eyes on me the whole way. I spared a glance back just before I rounded the corner of the garden to see the girl there, watching me. I shook my head; what could there possibly be to consider of such an odd-looking girl... 

          'When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.'