Chapter 14

The night of Draco's task

"I'm coming with you" I demanded, just as Draco was about to walk away. "No, I don't want you to be there Delphi" he shook me off. "Draco listen to me! I'm done with you trying to protect me when I don't need protecting" I yelled. "I just don't want you to think of me as a murderer" he said sadly. "Dray, I know that if you had a choice in this, you wouldn't be doing it. It's either him... or it's you" I said, giving him a hug.

"It's time" he said after he pulled away. We walked up to the astronomy tower to find Dumbledore already there... did he know?

"Ah, Draco you came. And you brought company" the headmaster spoke with kindness as he turned to face us. I felt awful, deep down Dumbledore was a good man who made wrong decisions. "You don't have to do this, let me help you" he said, that familiar twinkle gleaming in his eye. 

"You don't understand Professor" I whispered. "I don't want your help... don't you understand! I have to do this, I have to kill you... or he's going to kill me" Draco said shaking as he raised his wand. 

Dumbledore looked to his right, as did we. Death eaters were now surrounding us. That's when I saw my mother... my heart broke. She looked at me with sympathy, 'I'm sorry' she mouthed. 

"Good evening Bellatrix, I think introductions are in order... don't you?" Dumbledore asked my mother. "Love to Albus, but I'm afraid we're all on a bit of a tight schedule" 

"Do it!" one of the death eaters yelled. "He doesn't have the stomach, just like his father" another said, causing me to glare at them. My mother was now stood beside me, I looked at her as if I were in pain. "I'll explain later" she whispered.

The death eaters were now shouting at Draco to do it, yet he stood still. He couldn't face becoming a murderer. 

"No" Snape said calmly, appearing out of the shadows. "Severus... please" Dumbledore said, but he wasn't begging for his life. It was like he knew his time had come. Before I knew it, he was gone. Snape had cast the killing curse and Dumbledore was dead.

My mother grabbed Draco and me and dragged us away from all of the commotion. "Mum what the hell are you doing!" I shouted. "I'm not doing this for him Delphi, I'm doing it for you" she smiled. "What?" I whispered. "McGonagall came to me... she knew about Draco's situation and she asked me to become a double agent" she explained. I raised my eyebrows. "I'm working for both the order and the dark lord however, I'm on the good side this time" she said in a hushed voice in case any death eaters were around. 

"I'm only doing this to keep you both safe. Narcissa agreed it's for the best" she said softly. "I'm going to join you" I said confidently but she shut me down immediately, "no way Delphi, it's too dangerous... one wrong move and it's over" she said harshly. "I don't care, if Draco is doing it, then so am I" I explained. My mum just shook her head and dragged us outside to join the other death eaters.

"Black!" I heard someone yell, when I turned around I saw Harry. "Harry I-" I started but he shoved me to the ground. "Get away from her Potter" Draco yelled, coming to my aid. "You stood there and did nothing" he yelled, clearly upset that I witnessed Dumbledore's death and did nothing to stop it. "Harry, you don't understand Draco he-" I tried to explain but he didn't want to hear it. 

"SECTUM SEMP-" he began to throw at me but Draco disarmed him. I looked at him to say thanks but there wasn't time for that. "I should've known you'd side with him" he spat. "Harry! He's my cousin for crying out loud" I tried yet again to reason with him. 

"That's no excuse, family isn't everything" he rolled his eyes. "That's rich coming from the boy who has none" Draco chuckled. "Draco!" I hit him to shut him up. "Harry, you have no idea how hard this is for me. I come from a family of death eaters, Draco doesn't have a choice... he never did. That's why you've got to understand that none of this is our fault, we're on your side!" I shouted. He just laughed in my face. "Wait til Hermione hears about this, she will never want to see you again" he smirked. 

I felt numb. I should've known this would happen. I protect Draco, he protects Hermione. But I'm not dangerous! Hermione doesn't need protecting from me... I love her.