Ch. 2.3 - Strings of Fate

Start from the beginning

Ayanokouji and I followed Chabashira through the stairs and into the corridors—passing by the faculty office and inevitably arriving at our destination.

"This is the Student Council Room. Only the Student Council President should be present at the moment," Chabashira declared as she opened the door for us.

Entering the room, I met eyes with the person who was supposed to be "my older brother."

Everything about him looked the same as yesterday aside from the fact that he had a bandaid on his left cheek.

"Then, we'll talk about this later," Chabashira said her farewells, leaving Ayanokouji and me alone with the Student Council President, Horikita Manabu.

The older Horikita was the first to break the silence, "Sit down."

After we took our seats, he spoke again, "So, what compelled you to seek an audience with the Student Council, Suzune? I assume it's closely related to the incident that happened yesterday."

"First, will you explain the reason why Ayanokouji-kun had to come along?"

"Since you're here, I have some questions to ask you two as well. I woke up today lying on a bed inside the infirmary. Apparently, he was the one who brought me there. He left his name and phone number with the nurses, which is how I was able to contact him."

"I see," I glanced at the person in question. "The reason I'm here is that there's something that I'd like for you to do."

"Do you think you're in any position to make demands?"

"I did just defeat the great Student Council President in a fight. I think I deserve a reward in one way or another."

"You're being ridiculous if you think that's how it works."

"I see," I paused. "You want answers from us, right? Do you really think we will willingly satisfy your curiosity?"

"You will answer my questions," he replied. "First, who are you?"

Although I did say that I have no plans in pretending to be Suzune, it appears that giving away my identity would make for a decent hand to play.

"I am merely your little sister," I flashed a grin. "I have a feeling as to what's causing you to suspect me. That is because my motivations have changed. I no longer need to chase after you, brother. I will reach Class A based on my own volition. If you genuinely want to know the details, you will satisfy my demands."

Horikita Manabu had nothing to say for a while. Perhaps, he was debating whether or not to fall for my trump card—Suzune's true identity.

Still, Ayanokouji's in the room. I would rather not have him know as well in case I want something from him in the future.

"I see," the older Horikita finally spoke. "Then, what is it that you want?"

Finally...

"I want you to ensure that no student in my class gets expelled in any of our upcoming midterms or finals. I don't care how you do it."

"That's a ridiculous ask. You're overestimating my position."

"Tsk," I clicked my tongue. "Then, only the upcoming midterms. Do you have any problems with that as well?"

The president stayed silent again. However, surprisingly, the voice that would break this silence wasn't either of us.

"May I ask for something as well?" Ayanokouji said, raising his hand.

Horikita Manabu paused briefly before answering, "What is it?"

"I want the problems or possibly an answer sheet for your midterms during the first semester of your first year."

"I see. So, you're asking not just a guaranteed passing score for all students of your class but old problems to study with as well?"

"Exactly," Ayanokouji replied.

"I must say, that's greedy of you."

I added, "I know where he's coming from. This guaranteed passing score is just a temporary lifeline for the idiots residing within my class. For them to actually become decent students, they would need to study until they can no longer hold a pen."

"What an interesting pair that you two make. Do you really think you're going to reach Class A?"

"Pair? What are you talking about? I alone will pull this class from the depths of hell to reach Class A."

"Fine. I'll write the contract. Then, tell me. Who are you?"

"Can Ayanokouji-kun leave first?"

As I said that, the brown-haired boy himself interjected, "I took a part of this deal. I think I'm in the position to hear this as well."

I see. How sly. Well, no matter. He was a witness to the incident yesterday anyways.

"He's right."

"Fine," I said, standing up.

As I forced Suzune's body to intensify by adapting to my soul, I felt a glimpse of my true self leak out.

"Your eyes...!" Horikita Manabu's eyes dilated.

Chaos is upon us. From now on, fate will be what I desire it to be.

"My name is Medea Solon. Until I fulfill my promise to Horikita Suzune, I will be the one in control of this body."