Ch. 2.2 - The Strongest Link

Start from the beginning

"I know that! But I need to be out there. Why are you controlling my body? How is this even happening?"

"I would answer you if I knew. Stop acting so desperate. I thought you were half-capable based on your academic achievements but you're nothing but a child, aren't you?"

"..."

"You seem to be aware of my actions while I'm inside your body. Are we only able to converse through this mirror?"

"...What? Why does that matter?"

"For reasons clearer than the sky, if you aren't aware. Now that we have this predicament, I'll at least have to contact you to ensure that everything doesn't go ballistic. There are factors we are utterly unaware of. The least we can do is talk to each other."

"...I still can't comprehend this. You don't just get teleported into pure darkness and see the world through your own eyes yet have no control of your own actions," she gloomed.

"I understand. I, myself, was from an entirely different world. Your feelings give us more reason to have proper communication."

"Can you be trusted?" she asked with a stern face.

"With what? With your body?"

"Yes."

"I'll assure you that I have no plans to harm this body. Letting you die isn't an option."

The body in the mirror twitched at my declaration.

"Die...? Just what kind of world are you from exactly? I'm just a high school student."

"Once I leave this school, of course. I need to find answers to this world and return to mine."

Suzune's face began to distort. Tears formed in her beautiful eyes.

"Wait, no! You can't do that! You can't leave this school! It'll destroy my whole future! Whatever chance I have left to reconcile with my brother, that'll be gone too!" she yelled in pain.

"There's no other way. What else are we going to do? Let me live your life? I have an Empire to rule. You have a brother to catch up to. It's plainly obvious that I'm risking more than you with each passing second. And that's an understatement."

Although, I do believe that her predicament had something to do with my coming here. Perhaps when the Guardian Deity of Vasilios made its presence known to me, I pleaded for power just as much as Suzune did during the moment her older brother was belittling her.

Despite all the differences, that was the single link we had.

"...You just can't take my life," she said as her legs became weak.

Suzune fell to the floor, knees tucked in. She succumbed to her own emotions and cried.

I reconsidered my reasonings. If that little link we had meant something, then there must be a reason why I was put in this school in the first place. Was there something that needed to be done here? Why a school of all places?

"Suzune," I called.

She looked up, eyes red and tears running down her cheeks like a faucet. All I've been hearing were her pathetic sniffles as well.

"What is it that you want to do in this school? Why did you come here? Tell me."

Her eyes lightened. As if a tiny bit of hope had just entered her heart.

"I need to reach Class A...Prove to my brother that I'm not useless."

"I see. Then if I do that for you, your problems will be solved, will it not?"

"But! What about after you're gone? I know how capable you are! You beat my brother, the person I respect the most. I'll just become weak again."

"That's impossible."

"Huh?" her eyes dilated slightly.

"You're aware of my every action, and I can present to you my every thought. Once I'm done with this school, you should've learned everything you would ever need to prove to anyone that you're capable."

I continued, "That is your calling-to learn. In the meanwhile, I will find the reason why I was put here."

"That...Thank you. May I know your name?" she stood back up again.

"I, from now on, will be your second conscious and the director of your actions. My name is Medea Solon. You shall remember me for the rest of your life, Horikita Suzune."

"Then, Medea-sama. What shall we do from now on?"

"First, we have to fix your class."