Chapter Thirty-One

The hall was quiet, the sun only just peaking over the horizon. The sky outside was starting to turn a bright orange, as the summer heat combated the late night cool. It'd been months since our destructor mission, and in those months, we'd only been on one more mission. Until now.

I crept down from the top bunk I was in, above rooster. Carefully, and as quietly as I could, I opened my toiletry bag, grabbing a familiar pink box out of it. Tucking the box under my arm, I left the bunk room, and rushed down the halls, where not even the deck crew were yet. It was so early in the morning, I rid myself of accidentally bumping into anyone. It was a full half hour before anyone else would be awake, and I relished in that information.

Getting closer to the industrial bathrooms, I felt a moment of relief, glad I didn't see anyone, glad my plan had worked. I turned towards the two doors, separating the women's facilities from the men's, and immediately ran into something sturdy, but spongy enough I knew it wasn't the wall. I fumbled backwards, loosing my footing, and landed on my butt, the pink box out of my hands, landing by my feet.

"Sorry Stitch." He said, and before I could react, he was bending down to grab the box for me. I felt my eyes widen as he read what was on it, and mentally cursed. Of course it had to be him. It couldn't have been literally anyone else on our team.

"Give it Hangman." I hissed out, quietly. I slowly climbed to my feet, and held my hand out. His gaze moved from the box, up to my eyes. Instantly a smug expression replaced the concentration he had on moments before.

"Been a little naughty, have you?" He teased, waving the box. I scoffed, rolling my eyes, and reached for the box, which he held above my head. "Not so fast." He drawled out, looking amused that he had the upper hand on me for once. "This is a lot to unpack. I'm assuming by the sneakiness of the situation that you haven't mentioned this littler concern of yours to your precious Rooster, have you?" I scrunched my nose, glaring slightly.

"Thats none of your business, now give it to me." I said through gritted teeth. Slowly, he held the box out for me to take, which I did immediately, pulling it towards myself, covering it as much as I could again.

"Oh what drama will this cause?" He wondered. "Our best fighter, pregnant, who would have thought." He chuckled sarcastically.

"It's a precaution at best Hangman." I muttered. "Just because I'm taking a test, doesn't mean I am pregnant. Now, I'd greatly appreciate if you didn't mention this interaction to anyone." I added in what I hoped was a calm, commanding voice.

"Oh, but where would the fun in that be?" He asked, raising a bow, with that continued amused expression across his face. I hardened my glare, and stepped towards him, looking up sharply. He glanced done at me, smirking.

"If you say anything Jake, there just might be a little accident out on the field today. You just happened to cross my path while I was trying to shoot the enemy." I threatened in a low voice. His smirk grew slightly.

"Are you threatening a fellow lieutenant?" He wondered.

"Yes, I am. And I'm a great shot, so test me." I continued on, before taking a step back. He took a sharp breath, before glancing down at the box, then stepped past me. I let out a breath, I had been subconsciously holding in. I then stepped into the women's facilities, and beelined towards the closest stalled toilet.

I had to wait 3 minutes. Those 3 minutes felt like an hour. I sat on the toilet seat, anxiously tapping my foot, while I waited for the lines to reveal my fate. The tap of my foot echoed in the empty bathrooms, the only sound aside from my breathing. Finally, my phones timer went off, beeping loudly, startling me momentarily. I took a shaky breath, and picked up the stick, looking down for the results.