Chapter Eighteen

Maverick was the only person that knew I had arrived back onto TopGun base. Phoenix, the day I left, had texted me, letting me know how upset she and the rest of their team was that I didn't say goodbye. In an attempt to keep the secret, I chose to ignore her message. So when maverick asked me to continue keeping the secret upon my arrival, I felt incredibly guilty.

But I knew why he wanted me to remain a secret.

I was in my jet, two days after arriving. For two days I had hidden in my room, Maverick bringing me food, all for this moment. In my jet, I flew away from the base, before swinging back towards where the Elite team would be training. Mavericks training exercise for the day involved me approaching the team while they practiced basic maneuvers, as an unidentified jet. It was an attempt to see how they would respond in an emergency. They would of course know who I was once they engaged, but that only meant we were transitioning into a dogfighting exercise, where I would do my best to get a lock on each of them.

I liked his idea.

So I flew away from the base, tuned into their chatter, but not saying anything. Maverick had them running a common drill we normally learned our second or third time flying. Hangman, of course, was complaining that it was to ease, and rooster was arguing with him.

"Maverick wants us to refreshed up on this." Rooster said with an annoyed tone. I chuckled to myself, my mic turned off for the time being. I heard Phoenix chuckle though, like myself. She was amused.

"I didn't join this team to be treated like a rookie." Hangman complained. I could practically see Roosters eye roll.

"You're welcome to leave." Rooster muttered instead.

"That's not the best way to encourage your team Roost." Maverick chimed in. Rooster sighed.

"Fine, sorry." Rooster grumbled.

"Hangman, it's your lucky day anyways." Maverick said. I had turned back towards base, knowing that the team was well into their exercise. "It seemed there's a bogie incoming on your eight. Rooster I want you and your team to engage." Maverick instructed.

"A bogie? Only one? Why is there a bogie?" Rooster asked.

"I don't know, why don't you go and ask." Maverick asked sarcastically. Hangman chuckled. I continued to fly over. I seen their flight.

"I have a visual." Payback said. Their four jets were coming towards me at about the same speed, I assumed, as I was going towards them.

"Do we shoot it down?" Rooster asked.

"If you can." I could hear the smile on mavericks face when he answered. I smiled under my mask, narrowing my eyes, getting ready. As I got closer, I heard my missile lock alert go off, before the jet second from the right, shot at me. I turned up and hit my flares, letting the missile blow with them. I then dived my jet down and spun, slicing through their formation.

"Did anyone read the name on the jet?" Phoenix asked.

"I didn't even see the name." Fanboy called.

"It was written in green, but I didn't catch it." Bob chimed in. I wasn't sure who, but one of them had started tailing me, staying a decent distance away. I swayed from left to right in random intervals, so they couldn't get a lock.

"He won't stop moving, I can't get a lock." Hangman said. So that's who was behind me.

"You need to learn now to hit a moving target." Maverick said.

"Open fire." Rooster demanded.

"Copy." Hangman said. I started swirling, right before he started shooting. As I swirled, I went right. "Son of a bitch, I missed." Hangman hissed out annoyed. I chuckled to myself, before suddenly slowing down. Hangman swore, before going up and over my jet. Behind him now, I sped up. He tried his best to sway out of my way.