Chapter Seven

My heart raced, pounding in a rhythmic beat against my chest. I could feel sweat building all over my body, making me feel cold, despite the fact I knew I was overheating. My lungs begged for air, increasing my breaths to a rapid speed.

Cranes voice echoed in my ears, as his jet blew. The fire bright in the dim sky, almost blinding like the sun. The loudness of the battle dimmed, quieting down into a muffle of background noise. I gasped, suddenly unable to breathe, and began to panic.

I felt a hand on me suddenly, jolting me awake. My eyes snapped open and I took a long and deep breath, before looking beside me panicked. Roosters outline in the dim room, sat beside me. As my eyes adjusted, I could vaguely see the concerned look he was displaying.

"It's okay Sadie." He said softly, gently caressing my arm. My heart still raced, but began to slowly calm down, as my mind once again, grasped onto my reality. Rooster had stayed in my room, deciding to spend the night instead of walking across the compound back to his room. Unlike the night before, we had actually gone to bed at a decent time, both exhausted from the day.

"So-sorry." I stammered, running my hand through my slightly damp hair. I was sweating profusely.

"You don't need to be sorry." Rooster assured. Silence hung between us like a heavy blanket. I could tell he had a question, as it sat with us, begging to fill the silence. "What was it about?" He finally asked, his voice soft, as if his question was going to scare me away. I pressed my lips together, having finally caught my breath, though my heart still raced.

"My brother." I answered as simply as possible. I didn't want to go into detail. I just wanted to forget it ever happened and move on.

"I'm sorry." He bowed his head down in a somber guilt.

"It's okay." I assured, then glanced at the time. 0530. I sighed. "I think I'm going to have a shower." I added, pulling the blanket off of me and getting out of bed. I walked into the bathroom and started the shower, before stepping back into my room. Rooster was wearing only his boxers, but he was on his feet, looking around for his clothes.

"I should probably head back to my room and get ready for the day." He said when he noticed I was watching him. I nodded, silently glad he was leaving. I felt embarrassed that he had to witness me having a nightmare.

"Probably a good idea." I agreed, speaking in a low whisper, as if I'd wake up my neighbours if I spoke any louder. Once fully dressed in the same clothes he wore the day before, he stood by the door, where I had been waiting for him. He paused, gripping the door handle, and looked down at me. I was wearing his red Hawaiian shirt, and only that shirt.

"Are you going to be okay?" He asked.

No.

"Yeah, I'll be fine." I answered, forcing a smile. Rooster frowned, but accepted my answer, before leaving my room without another word. Once he was gone, I locked the door behind him, then went to my shower.

The water was warm against my skin. I took a deep inhale, letting my body relax, before I began to cry. I could only pretend for so long, before the weight of my nightmares and lack of sleep caught up to me. The grief and guilt in my heart was heavy, but it always felt consuming after a few restless nights.

So I'd shower, and hug myself. I'd sob until I couldn't sob anymore, then I'd sit and think. I'd let myself consciously recount the events of that night, as almost a personal punishment. It was a terrible coping mechanism, but one I had adopted and found hard to break.

When I was done my pity party, I turned the shower off and got out, getting ready for the day like nothing had happened. My green jumpsuit went on over my shorts and sports bra, fitting for comfort and movability. My hair was pulled back, and my boots were tied tight. As I stepped into the hall, I met Hex, who was also just leaving his room. A smile met me, before a frown replaced it.